Requirements, minimum education level, and experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Communications, English, Business or Economics preferred.
- Experience in AP style writing.
- Flexibility to adjust hours to cover evening events, breaking news, or occasional weekend news developments.
- Valid driver's license, good driving record, reliable and insured vehicle
- Reliable access to internet service
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong writing and editing in AP style skills
- Basic knowledge of how local and state governments regulate business development activity, with S.C. knowledge a plus.
- Strong written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritize workload and self-manage projects, handle multiple tasks and meet strict deadlines
- Good customer relation skills with the ability to easily and professionally speak and work with readers and the public daily
- Excellent social media skills
- Ability to react quickly to breaking news
- Knowledge of the community and surrounding cities a plus
- Ability to adapt to a fast-paced ever-evolving industry and workplace
- Strong, professional work ethic
- Ability to work independently remotely, if necessary, in a suitable workspace that meets safety guidelines
Physical Requirements, Work Environment and Travel:
Regularly required to sit for long periods of time; close eye work on computer screen; required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, bend and stoop; light to moderate lifting 15-30 pounds.
The worker is frequently subject to inside environmental conditions, which provide protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes, and is sometimes subject to adverse outside environmental conditions.
Local and occasional regional travel is required. The Post and Courier is an equal opportunity, drug-free workplace.