The Post and Courier, South Carolina’s statewide leader in award-winning news coverage, is looking for a digitally minded journalist who can oversee our Spartanburg newsroom while leading investigative and enterprise efforts in the Upstate — the fastest growing area of South Carolina. We are looking for journalists who will embrace our approach to insightful, enterprising coverage.
We need someone who will not only dig deep into the issues impacting the area as it tries to manage explosive growth but also can work with and guide reporters on our local government beat. You will work alongside the local editor, who has decades of experience covering the Upstate. You will answer directly to the Managing Editor for the Upstate, Midlands and PeeDee.
We need not only great local investigative/enterprise work but also impactful pieces that can look at local issues through a statewide lens as part of The Post and Courier’s network of newsrooms.
This position will act as a player-coach for a three to four-reporter team.
Reporters will find opportunities in a Pulitzer Prize-winning newsroom to do some of the best work of their career, limited only by their ambition and curiosity.
We value a narrative storytelling approach to in-depth reporting. You’ll get a chance to grow in your craft as a writer and reporter, whether you are a veteran journalist or someone just launching your career.
The Post and Courier is a privately held newspaper that values its relationship with readers, believing in the idea that investing in journalism will lead to more readers and a sustainable business. We have built newsrooms throughout the state, seeking to fill a void in news deserts or areas where local news coverage has dramatically shrunk.
- Become immersed in the public-policy scene of Spartanburg and Greenville counties to craft informative and impactful stories about top issues and political personalities.
- Develop and produce frequent investigative stories based on public records, interviews and other information while maintaining ongoing beat coverage.
- Frequently and strategically issue FOIAs to assist in reporting, analyze the results and effectively use these materials in published articles.
- Produce story ideas from the assigned beat or from conversations with sources and other members of the community.
- Coordinate your assignments and schedule with editors, keeping them well-informed about developments and potential challenges.
- Effectively use social media to engage the community.
- Develop and maintain photo and digital skills.
- Produce work that is accurate in fact, tone and implication. Understands libel law and the rules governing plagiarism.
- Effectively learn and use all job technology and systems.
- Learn and follow all department and company policies and procedures.
- Meet all assigned deadlines.
- Develop a list of knowledgeable, diverse sources.
- Other duties as assigned