Job Purpose: Provide oversight of the Veterinary Services department’s delivery of medicine, including development of medical processes and procedures. Provide high-quality care to shelter animals, including spay/neuter, treatment of various medical conditions, and herd health maintenance.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Lead and support all veterinary services including: emergency care, medical care and treatment, infectious disease prevention and control, necropsy and disposition of animals, volunteer foster care, and veterinarian externship and internships.
- Perform and direct euthanasia, in accordance with AVMA and ASV standards.
- Perform high volume, high quality spay and neuter surgeries.
- Perform other soft tissue and orthopedic surgeries as resources and training permit.
- Direct efforts, as needed, by evaluating and providing documentation of the medical conditions (including necropsies) of all animals involved in cruelty and neglect investigations or those who have died in care.
- Mentor veterinary students in the externship program and veterinarians completing a shelter internship.
- Oversee record keeping of controlled drugs and supplies.
- Participate in the management of administrative processes related to shelter’s and their own licenses and compliance with industry regulations.
- Oversee ordering and inventory of medications and medical supplies.
- Act as spokesperson for animal cases, media opportunities and medical education or provide expert witness testimony as needed.
- Provide stories for SPCA PR staff.
- Establish, monitor and update as necessary the standards and protocols of animal care, handling and sanitation.
- Assist in the recruitment, selection, supervision, evaluation and training of direct reports.
- Provide direction and assist in the recruitment, selection and evaluation of other department staff.
- Participate in the collection and evaluation of pertinent data for monthly/annual dashboard data and trend reports for either the shelter or spay/neuter clinic
- Serve as a member of the leadership team.
- Provide friendly, responsive and personalized customer service.
- Keep, and ensure department staff maintain, accurate and updated records in appropriate medical record software.
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment.
- Participate in required meetings and trainings, special events and fund raising functions.
- Professionally represent SPCA Tampa Bay at all times.
- All other duties as assigned.