SPCA Tampa Bay seeks a compassionate and dedicated veterinarian to serve as Director of Shelter Medicine. This is an executive-level leadership role. SPCA offers a competitive salary with benefits including: continuing education stipend with paid training days, student loan relief, health, dental, vision, and life insurance, 403b retirement plan, + 120 hours of paid time off AND additional 8 paid holidays off including birthday and work anniversary. Flexible scheduling possible.
Our Vision: Create a community where every animal matters.
Our Mission: Through passionate collaboration with our community, we transform the lives of animals.
Join our team to advance our non-profit mission! SPCA Tampa Bay has cared for Pinellas County’s homeless pets for more than 75 years. It was founded in St. Petersburg in 1940, and moved to its 10-acre campus in Largo in 1962. SPCA Tampa Bay returned to St. Petersburg when it opened a second location – the SPCA Tampa Bay Veterinary Center – in 2016. It further expanded its programmatic reach in 2017 with the addition of New Dawn Animal Behavior Center at a third location in Clearwater.
Job Purpose: Provide oversight of the Veterinary Services department’s delivery of medicine, including development of medical processes and procedures. Provide high-quality care to shelter animals, including spay/neuter, treatment of various medical conditions, and herd health maintenance.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Lead and support all veterinary services including: emergency care, medical care and treatment, infectious disease prevention and control, necropsy and disposition of animals, volunteer foster care, and veterinarian externship and internships.
- Perform and direct euthanasia, in accordance with AVMA and ASV standards.
- Perform high volume, high quality spay and neuter surgeries.
- Perform other soft tissue and orthopedic surgeries as resources and training permit.
- Direct efforts, as needed, by evaluating and providing documentation of the medical conditions (including necropsies) of all animals involved in cruelty and neglect investigations or those who have died in care.
- Mentor veterinary students in the externship program and veterinarians completing a shelter internship.
- Oversee record keeping of controlled drugs and supplies.
- Participate in the management of administrative processes related to shelter’s and their own licenses and compliance with industry regulations.
- Oversee ordering and inventory of medications and medical supplies.
- Act as spokesperson for animal cases, media opportunities and medical education or provide expert witness testimony as needed.
- Provide stories for SPCA PR staff.
- Establish, monitor and update as necessary the standards and protocols of animal care, handling and sanitation.
- Assist in the recruitment, selection, supervision, evaluation and training of direct reports.
- Provide direction and assist in the recruitment, selection and evaluation of other department staff.
- Participate in the collection and evaluation of pertinent data for monthly/annual dashboard data and trend reports for either the shelter or spay/neuter clinic
- Serve as a member of the leadership team.
- Provide friendly, responsive and personalized customer service.
- Keep, and ensure department staff maintain, accurate and updated records in appropriate medical record software.
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment.
- Participate in required meetings and trainings, special events and fund raising functions.
- Professionally represent SPCA Tampa Bay at all times.
- All other duties as assigned.