Job Title: Benefits Specialist (Certified Application Counselor)
Prepared By: F Sablan/T Kodeck
Created Date: 1/9/2019 Revision Date: N/A
The Benefits Specialist (Certified Application Counselor) identifies, educates, supports, and acts as an advocate for inmates across the state within the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services by assisting them with the screening and enrollment process in Medicaid.
The primary responsibilities of this position are:
- Will be required to become a certified application counselor (under the standards of the Maryland Health Benefit exchange)
- Screens applications and enrolls all inmates under the age of 65, via the Maryland Health Connection portal in Medicaid
- Provide HealthChoice/MCO navigation/utilization and education
- Educates inmates on required documents for enrollment
- Educates inmates of requirements and structure of Medicaid program to prevent loss of coverage
- Educates inmates of how Medicaid program functions, when and where they can use medical coverage
- Track enrollment and effective dates of coverage to help prevent lapse of coverage
- Maintains strictest confidentiality of business and client information
- Collects and collates data for reporting purposes. Enter consistently and accurately information obtained during outreach into the agency database
- Travels when necessary to meet operational needs and to further educate oneself in regard to changes, improvements, and functions of a Certified Application Counselor
- Will be responsible to engage clients across the state either remotely via tele health or in reach within the facilities.
Education, Experience, Certifications and Licensures:
- High school diploma required, Bachelors Degree preferred
- Bilingual, preferred
- Previous experience with health insurance/public health preferred
- Experience working with the offender population a preference
- Comfortable working within the public safety system
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Strong organizational skills
- Proven ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to problem solve and demonstrate initiative in approaching complex cases
- Knowledge of Maryland Medicaid and/or working with insurance companies
- Certified Application Counselors (CAC) desirable. Completion of a CAC certification is required.
- Training in motivational interviewing preferred
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong analytical abilities and problem resolution.
- Some travel is required for this position, including but not limited to off-site locations.
- Strong computer literacy skills, specifically with MS Word, Excel, Outlook and SharePoint (365).
- Excellent oral and written interpersonal and communication skills required.
- Effective problem-solving skills with proven ability to work efficiently and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work with persons from a wide diversity of social, ethnic, and economic backgrounds is necessary
- Must be a self-starter and able to work independently
- Must have reliable transportation
- Ability to attend to multiple tasks at the same time
- Ability to prioritize assignments and responsibilities to ensure compliance with established deadlines and protocols.
- Must be able to uphold and comply with organizations code of ethics and core values.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear and respond to customers and employees. The employee frequently is required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to walk and sit. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Ambulate 3 blocks or more
- Key data
- Sit for extended periods
- Lift at least 15 lbs.
SAFETY & HEALTH RESPONSIBILITIES
HCAM is committed to providing and maintaining a safe, secure and healthy work environment for all employees, clients served, volunteers and visitors. As part of this commitment, HCAM has developed safety, security and occupational health policies, practices, and standards.
With this understanding, all employees are required to: Adhere to all local, state and federal safety and environmental codes, ordinances, standards and laws; adhere to all HCAM and local safety plans, policies, practices and standards; be aware of and follow all safety rules of your work site; report any unsafe conditions or accidents to your supervisor; practice standard precautions (formerly universal precautions) at all times, and; participate in mandatory or available safety training.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to both indoor and outdoor conditions. The employee will be subject to noise.