The Fund for Public Health in New York City (FPHNYC) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that is dedicated to the advancement of the health and well-being of all New Yorkers. To this end, in partnership with the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH), FPHNYC incubates innovative public health initiatives implemented by DOHMH to advance community health throughout the city. It facilitates partnerships, often new and unconventional, between government and the private sector to develop, test, and launch new initiatives. These collaborations speed the execution of demonstration projects, effect expansion of successful pilot programs, and support rapid implementation to meet the public health needs of individuals, families, and communities across New York City.
PROGRAM OVERVIEW (NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, Epidemiology and Laboratory Capacity for Infectious Diseases, Enhancing Detection Expansion Grant Program)
The Bureau of Communicable Disease (BCD), part of the Division of Disease Control, is responsible for monitoring and investigating over 70 infectious diseases including foodborne, waterborne, vector-borne and zoonotic diseases, as well as influenza and diseases that are emerging or are of urgent public health significance. BCD also monitors and analyzes trends in disease data and provides consultation to the medical community and the public on the recognition, prevention and control of communicable diseases. BCD is currently supporting the citywide COVID-19 response under the DOHMH’s Incident Command System.
We are hiring a data analyst to provide support to BCD’s surveillance work in the Reportable Disease Data, Informatics, and Analysis Unit. The analyst will have a key role supporting data modernization activities, including reporting data to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).The analyst will also support general BCD reporting and surveillance needs. It is expected that the position will work 35 hours per week.
Duties include, but not limited to:
- Liaise with disease subject matter experts to understand and collect requirements for CDC’s reporting data modernization initiative
- Standardize surveillance data to CDC HL7 specifications
- Create, test, document, maintain and troubleshoot Rhapsody routes and technical solutions based on functional and business requirements with support from BCD senior data analysts and Department Rhapsody engineers
- Communicate and assist third party vendors with troubleshooting interface issues
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting of surveillance data
- Perform quality assurance and analysis of surveillance data
- Project manage and track data modernization milestones
- Serve in analyst rotations to review output of routine daily and weekly communicable disease analyses and to standardize and deduplicate incoming reports that require manual review
- Participate in weekly COVID-19 analyst rotation and support quality assurance activities related to COVID-19.
- Monitor electronic lab/provider reporting data for volume, timeliness, and quality
- Run ad hoc queries of surveillance data for COVID-19 and other diseases as requested by both internal and external requesters
- Participate in the Incident Command System surveillance and epidemiology data unit to support emergency response data needs as requested
- Contribute to DOHMH efforts to promote health equity and racial justice