Qualifications and Desired Characteristics:
- Prior proposal writing experience is required, preferably in a law firm or other professional services context.
- Three to five years of marketing or business development experience in law or other professional services is preferred.
- A Bachelor’s degree in marketing, journalism, English, or a comparable field is preferred.
- You are an excellent communicator. You care as much about client service as you do about telling powerful stories. Your communications skills—not just your writing skills—will be relied upon daily as you build relationships, steer projects to completion, and manage expectations. You appreciate the value of communicating early and often. You put as much care into the emails you send as the web copy you draft—and you also know when not to send another email and pick up the phone or connect in person instead.
- You can establish rapport with and build trust among the firm’s 100+ trial lawyers and litigators. They are deeply thoughtful and process information quickly. They are skeptics and critical thinkers. They are curious. You appreciate the need to tailor messages to them and prioritize information. The lawyers often respond with original questions and may point out weaknesses in ideas in order to create strengths. This doesn’t bother you—in fact, you like it. You know that together, you and they are crafting the best possible messages and products for the firm.
- You genuinely enjoy and have a talent for gathering complex information from various sources and bringing the most relevant ideas to bear in persuasive writing. Furthermore, you appreciate that to be successful in your role, you must be a student of WTO. You will make it a point to learn what different lawyers do, what the firm’s different practice areas are known for, and you’ll always be listening for opportunities to bring potentially relevant new ideas into the mix to add value based on your awareness of the firm’s work and history.
- You are a mimic. You can review prior work product and replicate that in substance and style.
- As much as you enjoy the drafting process, you also relish revising with others. At WTO, we will always go the extra mile if there is a way to say something better. To you, tireless wordsmithing to find the most apt expression is a game worth playing, and the prize is connecting with your audience to win new work.
- When something is not right or is incomplete, you are comfortable saying so, no matter who needs to hear it. You won’t pass off work product that you know is not up to standard.
Special projects may include assisting with heightened or escalated month-end needs and testing of new software features. On occasion, weekend hours or extended weekday hours could be necessary.
There are no internal supervisory responsibilities. The Writer will oversee projects and work product from outside vendors including graphic designers, website developers, and possibly other writers or content developers.
The Writer is one member of a close-knit, three-person marketing team. WTO’s collegial atmosphere is fostered not only by the lawyers, but by all members of the support staff. Our firm’s employees are proud of collaborating in service to our clients. Our commitment to teamwork allows us to tap multiple fields of experience from our range of practice areas, ensuring our ability to meet each client’s individual needs. Our team approach enables us to analyze a situation from several points of view until we uncover the advantage that makes the difference for our client.
Salary Range: $70,000 - $80,000 per year, depending on qualifications and experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or any other status protected by law or regulation. It is our intention that all qualified applicants are given equal opportunity and that selection decisions be based on job-related factors.
To Apply: Submit a cover letter, resume, and three concise writing samples to Liz Conti, HR Director at firstname.lastname@example.org