Title: Specialist, State Legislative Affairs
Department/Unit: State Affairs/Public Affairs
FLSA Status: Full-time, Exempt
Location: This position is located on-site at the APTA headquarters in Alexandria, VA
Do you want to contribute to an organization dedicated to improving societal health? Would you like to collaborate with colleagues who are passionate about making a difference? Are you excited to work in a new state-of-the-art building designed to encourage movement, participation, and employee health?
Then you want to work for APTA!
APTA is the trusted leader for the physical therapy profession, representing more than 100,000 physical therapists, physical therapist assistants, and physical therapy students. Our approximately 150 employees support the association’s mission to build a community that advances the profession of physical therapy to improve the health of society. Learn more in our Association Profile.
Located in Alexandria, Virginia, APTA has outstanding employee benefits, including flexible work schedules, generous retirement contributions, and travel subsidies for employees who choose public and active transportation.
This position helps implement APTA’s legislative and regulatory goals at the state level. Works with APTA state chapters on state legislative tracking, analysis, and grassroots advocacy. Develops legislative resources to support state lobbying and advocacy efforts to advance the physical therapy profession. Implements efforts to support organizational and state legislative priorities and activities within the State Affairs department.
A member of the Public Affairs unit that implements efforts to support organizational priorities and activities within the State Affairs department. Supports unit efforts with a focus on departmental contributions, public engagement strategy, and membership strategy for the Association. Participates and support efforts for appointed and member volunteer groups and APTA leadership. Supports preparation of compliance requirements and documents and seeks out opportunities for continuous quality improvement in department activities. Effective champion of the Association vision, mission and brand.
- Provides professional support for the work plans related to respective activities of the State Affairs department which align with organizational priorities and the Association’s membership strategy, scientific strategy, and operations strategy, including, but not limited to, providing advice and counsel to the public on health legislative issues; grassroots outreach and advocacy; educational programming; response and guidance to volunteer leaders; and, representing the Association to external audiences.
- Prepares and completes required departmental compliance forms as outlined below including ensuring required information is accurate for timely submission of all required forms, including relevant memberships and conference registrations.
- Contributes to and implements recommendations on advancing operations within the department to gain efficiencies, and grow revenue, if applicable.
- Contributes to quality assurance and continuous quality/performance improvement in department activities, including supporting department manager, government affairs VP, and unit leaders in annual assessments of respective budget activities.
- Supports the Public Affairs team in the implementation of the Association’s programs, priorities, and projects in partnership with department director and staff colleagues.
- Prepares, in consultation with the Manager, department level data which supports and aligns with the APTA data strategy, including state legislation data and health care policy issues information.
- Upholds and fosters team values
- Complies with all APTA policies and procedures
- Performs other duties as assigned to foster achievement of association priorities.
- Degree in political science, government, public policy or a related field preferred.
- 2+ years’ experience on state legislative or state regulatory issues or activities.
- Knowledge and familiarity with health care issues is desirable.
- Familiarity with state legislative tracking and reporting required.
- Ability to read, analyze, and manage state legislation and proposed regulation and write easily understandable synopses.
- Strong presentation/public speaking and professional writing skills, including ability to prepare PowerPoint slides and collateral materials for presentations.
- Experience with grassroots advocacy and grassroots campaigns targeted around legislation desired.
- Ability to represent Association and present to a variety of external audiences and stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; collegial, with the ability to develop productive relationships.
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office and legislative/regulatory tracking and “action alert” software.
10%, local and National
How To Apply
Please send resume and cover letter, including salary requirements, when submitting your application.
Principals only; no agencies; no phone calls, please. Candidates selected to participate in an interview will be contacted by Human Resources.
The American Physical Therapy Association is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
APTA participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. For more information, please visit e-verify.uscis.gov.
APTA is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce and invites and welcomes applicants with diversity of experience, mindset, and skills to add value to APTA and our staff community.