The Post and Courier Columbia is looking for a Food and Entertainment reporter to contribute to our award-winning coverage of food, arts and culture in Columbia, SC.
Covering one the most popular beats in the market, the food & entertainment reporter would cover the food and beverage scene with a mix of trending stories, features and profiles that showcase the region’s restaurants, industry professionals and the issues impacting these businesses.
We’re looking for a reporter who will develop relationships and seek the story behind the headline, delving into the complexities of what it takes to own, operate and regulate bars and restaurants in South Carolina.
The reporter will also be responsible for occasional arts and culture-related stories, whether it be a concert preview or an accountability feature on the need for diversity in the arts. While this beat is competitive, we need a reporter who can not only tackle quick-turn coverage, but take the time to find stories that lean on our mission of accountability and explanation.
Columbia, SC, is the state’s capital and home to its biggest public university. There is also a thriving arts scene. The confluence of politics, education and the arts creates fertile ground for stories that don’t just let readers know what dishes to try or shows to catch, but the deeper cultural meaning of the arts and food scenes to the broader Columbia community.
The Post and Courier, a Pulitzer Prize winning newspaper, values in-depth storytelling, innovative reporting approaches and a commitment to accountability. The Free Times, the arts & culture section of The Post & Courier Columbia, is a tentpole publication in Columbia that frequently hosts events and puts together special sections, both of which this reporter would be expected to pitch in on.
- Become immersed in the food and entertainment scene of Columbia and surrounding areas to tell captivating, entertaining and impactful stories.
- Produce story ideas from the assigned beat or from conversations with sources and other members of the community.
- Effectively use social media to engage the community.
- Develop and maintain photo and digital skills.
- Produce work that is accurate in fact, tone and implication. Understands libel law and the rules governing plagiarism.
- Effectively learn and use all job technology and systems.
- Learn and follow all department and company policies and procedures.
- Meet all assigned deadlines.
- Develop a list of knowledgeable, diverse sources.
- Other duties as assigned