POSITION PURPOSE: The Kitchen Manager (BOH Manager) is responsible for all kitchen operations, including but not limited to supervision of the kitchen staff and staffing levels, quality food preparation, safety and sanitation, and housekeeping. The Kitchen Manager will take responsibility for setting the expectation for all kitchen team members to work as a team to maximize productivity and achieve standards at all times, whether it is cleanliness, organization, food quality, or speed and accuracy of the team. The Kitchen Manager ensures that all kitchen team members are performing their job responsibilities and meeting expectations in all areas of their job descriptions.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Sales and Profits
- Contributes to financial responsibility for food costs, labor costs, and kitchen supplies for the kitchen and sets operational goals to achieve or exceed budget.
- Regularly evaluate produce and paper vendor pricing on similar products to ensure highest quality at most competitive cost.
- Recruit new team members as required within the recruitment guidelines in association with the General Manager.
- Staff, train and develop restaurant managers and hourly employees through orientations, training sessions, team member meetings, and the establishment of performance expectations.
- Maintain and effectively roster all restaurant team members keeping within the budgeted payroll percentage, business demand parameters, and staff skill levels. Forecasting will be required on a weekly basis.
- Maintains food quality and safety standards, overseeing food procurement, production and service, including inventory and ordering, storage and retention, food preparation, plate presentation, and service and production time standards.
- Ensure that all food and products are consistently prepared and served according to the restaurant’s recipes, portioning, cooking, and serving standards through daily line checks and thorough walk-throughs of entire BOH.
- Fill in where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations.
- Communicate with team members effectively in order to ensure the highest guest service standards are consistently reached.
- Supervise the maintenance and cleanliness of the kitchen, performing basic repairs as needed to kitchen equipment or seek the help of a maintenance person who can perform repairs.
- Responsible for maintaining appropriate Daily, Weekly and Quarterly cleaning schedules for kitchen floors, mats, walls, hoods, other equipment and food storage areas.
6. Training and Development
- Develop a strong team dynamic between the back of house and front of house.
- Leads the kitchen team in successful day to day operations by example and by being a role model.
- Responsible for training kitchen personnel in safe operation of all kitchen equipment and utensils.
- Responsible for training kitchen personnel in cleanliness and sanitation practices.
- Provide safety training in lifting and carrying objects and handling hazardous materials.
- Ensure all BOH team members product knowledge is at an acceptable level.
- Ensure operational excellence of both FOH and BOH on the General Manager’s off days.
- Monitor food quality and quantity as it relates to portion control and timely delivery to guests.
- Achieve food quality and safety standards through daily line checks and food reviews, response to guest feedback, ongoing maintenance/housekeeping, and staff training and supervision.
- Control food cost and usage by following proper requisition of products from vendors, storage areas, product storage procedures, standard recipes and waste control procedures, including checking and maintaining proper food holding and refrigeration temperature control points.
- Ensure that all wastage items are fully recorded and explained.
- Maintain effective par stock levels for all products.
- Manage inventory rotation and product storage standards.
- Ensure accurate and complete inventory valuation counts
- Maintain an open communications line to the General Manager, FOH Manager, Key Manager, or Territory Manager.
- Prepare all required paperwork, including forms, reports and schedules in an organized and timely manner or by the due date.
- Attend and contribute to all scheduled meetings.
- Regular review of MSDS information to ensure all chemical sheets are present and up-to-date in accordance with federal, state, and local requirements.
- Bi-weekly verification of restaurant inventory units and pack sizes in Compeat.
9. Policies and Procedures
- Responsible for ordering food products from approved vendors according to predetermined product specifications and received in correct unit count and condition and deliveries are received in accordance with the restaurant’s receiving policies and procedures.
- Have a full knowledge of, and practice all of the occupational health and safety guidelines.
- Provide orientation of company and department rules, policies, and procedures and oversee training of new kitchen employees.
- Maintain the grooming standards of kitchen employees according to the Attire and Grooming Policy found in the Employee Handbook.
- Be knowledgeable of restaurant policies regarding personnel and administer prompt, fair and consistent corrective action for any and all violations of company policies, rules and procedures.
- Ensure that equipment is kept in excellent working condition through personal inspection and by following the restaurant’s preventative maintenance programs.
11. Performance Management
- Oversee and ensure in conjunction with the General Manager that restaurant policies on employee performance appraisals are followed and completed on a timely basis.
- Monitors acceptable team member performance and documents situations that require or could lead to disciplinary or corrective action. Completes and maintains appropriate paperwork in conjunction with GM for team member files.
- Manage own opportunities for improvement as presented on most recent evaluation.
12. Perform any other duties as directed by the General Manager, Territory Manager and/or Corporate.
- Keeps General Manager or Territory Manager promptly and fully informed of all issues (i.e. problems, unusual matters of significance and positive events) and takes prompt corrective action where necessary or suggests alternative courses of action.
- Creates a positive working environment with positive actions.
- Able to perform all position responsibilities and performance objectives in a timely and effective manner in accordance with established company policies and procedures.
- Maintains a favorable working relationship with all company employees to foster and promote a cooperative working atmosphere, which will be conducive to maximum employee morale, productivity, and efficiency.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. With input, support and approval from the General Manager, Territory Manager, and/or Upper Management responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.