Job Title: Director of Risk Management
Lerch Bates is seeking an experienced Director of Risk Management to join our team. The Director of Risk Management is an essential part of our organization and oversees mitigating risk for the entire company. We are looking for a knowledgeable leader to manage our risk team and set our company up for success. If you have five (or more) years of experience in AEC industry contract administration and a Juris Doctorate (or equivalent work experience), we want to speak with you!
Lerch Bates is the global multidisciplinary technical consultancy, saving time and money for those designing, modernizing, investigating, or managing buildings. From risk to ROI, schedule to sustainability, Lerch Bates’ suite of services helps you plan the future of your building at every phase of the building lifecycle. As your partner in finding the best technical outcomes for your project, we ensure functionality, safety, and value work together.
We simplify the path to the best technical expertise for the built environment anywhere in the world. Lerch Bates offers integrated specialties, including vertical transportation, logistics, enclosures & structures, forensics, and multidisciplinary building lifecycle services that optimize performance from design, construction, and management to forensic investigation, repair, and modernization.
What You’ll Do:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed in this position. They are not intended to prescribe or restrict the assignments that management may make.
- Ensure contract policy compliance throughout the company - drafts, updates, and communicate policies, procedures, and practices.
- Direct and administer the organization’s risk-management program and team.
- Act as the primary contact and liaison between our clients, including contact person between the project team, business unit, and/or legal to ensure that all legal and contractual matters are addressed efficiently and promptly.
- Assist in drafting and updating business templates and documents to maintain compliance and mitigate company risk.
- Direct and develop policies and processes that govern the contract administration staff and provide guidance on contract terms and the assessment of contract proposals.
- Lead and participate in client negotiations, working closely with the sales teams to assess and mitigate potential risks associated with contracts and agreements.
- Research and interpret existing law/regulations and anticipated changes to laws to guide informed decisions, reduce risk, and be legally compliant
- The coordination of response on legal complaints, litigation reporting, loss prevention, claims, lawsuits, subpoenas, and depositions.
- Prepare and review various agreements, contracts, and other legal documents to be legally sufficient.
- Work to secure outside legal counsel when necessary.
- Manage litigation budgets.
- Consult with executive leadership and insurance carriers on complex liability claims.
- Develop, refine, and oversee the company-wide safety and fleet vehicle programs.
- Promote organization-wide understanding of risks and risk management strategies through training and other avenues.
- Process and coordinate various insurance claims, including litigation matters.
- Some domestic travel.
- Perform special projects and any other duties as assigned.
What You’ll Bring:
- Juris Doctor or equivalent work experience (required).
- A minimum of five years in AEC industry contract administration and risk mitigation programs (required).
- Proven experience in managing people and teams.
- Deep knowledge of the building construction or real estate asset contract life cycle, types of contracts, and applicable government regulations.
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities to identify integration risks and develop effective mitigation strategies.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate and influence stakeholders at all levels of the organization.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Knowledge of risk management assessment, evaluation, and audit best practices.
- Unwavering integrity and the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
Why work with Lerch Bates?
- Competitive Compensation
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Employee Stock Ownership program!
- Generous PTO
- Incentive compensation bonus
- 401(k) with up to 6% employer match!
- FSA and HSA
- Charitable paid time off
- Birthday Bonus
- Paid Parental Leave
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Learning and Development
- An entire internal department dedicated to your learning and career development!
- Exceptional company culture
- Employee resource groups
- Team building and networking activities
- And more!
Be more than just an employee…
Lerch Bates is 100% employee-owned! Our employee-owners bring a distinct “we own what we do” brand of technical consulting to every project and partnership. When you work with us, you join a company with an ownership mindset. Expect responsibility, service, and performance in everything we do. So, what does that mean for you? After a certain service time, you are eligible for stock ownership, which essentially works as an additional wealth accumulation and/or retirement account!
CORE Values: Ownership . Community . Integrity . Respect . Optimism
Lerch Bates is a federal contractor, which requires us to conduct a pre-employment background check and drug test.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.