POSITION PURPOSE: As a bartender, you must be friendly, outgoing and possess good communication skills. A guest’s breakfast, brunch, lunch and/or bar experience should be equally enjoyable and you play a major role in the overall picture. Remember, consistency is a key element in a positive experience. We achieve this by always following recipes. All Bartenders should always use a Jigger for overall efficiency and accuracy. Your individual personality should shine through – use it to your advantage. You should be organized, able to think and act quickly and effectively while retaining self-composure. Be guest sensitive and possess a sense of timing. Take pride in personal appearance and show dedication to your job. Display integrity and honesty in all aspects of your employment. Takes orders, serves food and drinks, answers inquiries about the menu and complies with the wishes of the guest, as well as suggestively selling food and drinks.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Primary duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Must comply with any required local and/or state law regarding required bartender certifications, such as a bar card, etc.
- Serve guests and create a warm and fun atmosphere for both guests and fellow employees.
- Performs all duties and responsibilities in a timely and effective manner in accordance with established company policies to achieve the overall objective of the position. Works to the restaurants “Sense of Urgency”.
- Arrives at work with: 1) Minimum of five pens (Black or Blue ink), 2) Small, palm size notepad (for taking orders), 3) Black leather bound check folder (provided), and 4) Clean company apron.
- Answer any questions about food and drinks including ingredients of entrées, preparations and accompanying items.
- Greets newly seated guests in a friendly manner within one (1) minute of being seated.
- Takes drink order at guest greeting, delivers beverages, and up-sells. Takes entire order and repeats order to guests for clarification.
- Suggestively sells menu items, such as appetizers, entrees, beverages and desserts.
- Enters order on POS computer system quickly and in proper sequence and uses appropriate abbreviations and changes to ensure clarity to kitchen.
- Attends to guests needs when delivering food and checks back with guests to ensure their satisfaction.
- Observes guests to respond to any additional needs, Anticipate the needs of the Guest. Be alert to signals, such as raising a hand, looking directly at you, etc., and acknowledge the Guest so they know you will be right with them.
- Wait staff never asks: “How was your food?” It is appropriate to say: “We hope all was well and you had a great meal!” At that time, look at your guests for any eye or facial expressions, if they look as though there was a problem, you then say: “Was there a problem with your food?” Attempt to rectify the problem with a Manager if necessary.
- Maintain table and bar appearance by pre-bussing, checking drink levels, removing clutter, and providing extra napkins if necessary.
- Present bill upon removal of last plate, upon request or in a timely manner. Accepts payment and provides change or credit card sign off slip within 1-3 minutes of guest payment. Follows appropriate accounting procedures for closing checks, promo items, employee discounts & gift certificates.
- Assumes responsibility as a cashier, as that is part of your job. Double check your change to customers, as that is where money is lost!
- Gives a warm, sincere & pleasant farewell to guest and invites them to return. Again, never ask “How was your food?” always say, “We hope you had a great experience!”
- Keeps wait station clean. Sets up & takes down station according to opening and closing procedures.
- Adheres to company sanitation policies and procedures.
- Keeps immediate supervisor fully informed of all problems, issues or unusual matters of significance and takes prompt corrective action.
- Performs all duties and responsibilities in a timely and effective manner in accordance with established company policies to achieve the overall objectiveness of the position.
- Maintains a favorable working relationship with all other company employees to foster and promote a cooperative and harmonious working atmosphere, which will be conducive to maximum employee morale, productivity, efficiency, and effectiveness.
- Empties trash, sweeps, mops &/or vacuums the restaurant floor when there is no support (Hostess, bussers) available.
- Communicate with Guests using clear and enthusiastic words, tone and body language at all times. Make Guests feel appreciated through your actions.
- Work as a team with all personnel in order to maintain an effective atmosphere and an efficient food and beverage service.
- Work with others to keep all areas cleaned and stocked to restaurant standards at all times.
- Mix, garnish and serve alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks following standard recipes.
- Arrange bottles and glasses to maintain an attractive display in agreement with restaurant standards.
- May be required to carry bus tubs of dirty glassware and dishes to the dish area.
- Count drinks that are served to ensure responsible service of alcohol. Should a Guest reach the state you do not feel they should drive, notify a supervisor or manager.
- Other duties as required.
Job responsibilities are not limited to the responsibilities outlined here. All Duties that assist the restaurant to function successfully are part of the job.