The Fund for Public Health in New York City (FPHNYC) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that is dedicated to the advancement of the health and well-being of all New Yorkers. To this end, in partnership with the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH), FPHNYC incubates innovative public health initiatives implemented by DOHMH to advance community health throughout the city. It facilitates partnerships, often new and unconventional, between government and the private sector to develop, test, and launch new initiatives. These collaborations speed the execution of demonstration projects, effect expansion of successful pilot programs, and support rapid implementation to meet the public health needs of individuals, families, and communities across New York City.
This position will work on the National HIV Behavioral Surveillance Study (NHBS) in the Bureau of Hepatitis, HIV and STIs in the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. NHBS is a national, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)-funded research project conducted annually in New York City and other participating sites. The project investigates HIV risk behaviors, access to and utilization of HIV prevention services, testing history, and HIV prevalence among populations at risk for HIV infection, including men who have sex with men (MSM), people who inject drugs (PWID), and heterosexually-active adults at high risk for HIV infection (HET). In 2021, NHBS will be conducted among MSM. Participants will undergo an interviewer-administered survey, be offered testing for HIV and STIs, and linked to care and services. Participants will be recruited via a peer-recruitment method and must show a study coupon to participate.
The Bureau seeks a temporary Study Operations Assistant who will report to the NHBS Study Operations Supervisor. The position is onsite and all the candidates must report to the office site. The Study Operations Assistant will be mostly responsible for serving as the studys Coupon Manager by checking participants in and out of the study, using a Coupon Manager Software and in assisting the Study Operations Supervisor in other study tasks (i.e. STI specimen storage and shipping). Staff must adhere to strict detailed survey research protocols and the ability to comply with strict protocols for confidentiality. Responsibilities are listed below. Training will be provided.
- Serve as the studys Coupon Manager by checking participants in and out of the study using a Coupon Manager Software and Microsoft Teams.
- Send study appointment invites to potential participants.
- During the checkout process, collect information needed to schedule the HIV testing appointment, to send the STI specimen collection kit, and to return STI test results.
- Accurately document participant information on paper and electronic forms, including an ACCESS database.
- Assist Study Operations Supervisor in training of data collection staff.
- Assist Study Operations Supervisor in STI specimen storage and shipment and shipment of STI collection kits to participants.
- Assist Study Operations Supervisor in providing STI test results to participants.
- Other duties as assigned.