POSITION PURPOSE: Take orders, serves food and drinks, answers inquiries about the menu and complies with the wishes of the guest, as well as suggestively selling food and drinks. Additionally, maintains cleanliness of the restrooms and perimeter of the building. Also, work closely with Bussers and Hostess’ to ensure guests receive excellent service.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Primary duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Serve guests and create a warm and fun atmosphere for both guests and fellow employees.
- Performs all duties and responsibilities in a timely and effective manner in accordance with established company policies to achieve the overall objective of the position. Works to the restaurants “Sense of Urgency”.
- Arrives at work with: 1)Minimum of five pens(Black or Blue ink),
- 2) Minimum of $25 in small bills & coin change, 3) Small, palm size notepad (for taking orders) 4) Black leather bound check folder (provided) 5) Clean company apron.
- Answer any questions about food and drinks including ingredients of entrées, preparations and accompanying items.
- Greets newly seated guests in a friendly manner within 1 minute of being seated.
- Takes drink order at guest greeting, delivers beverages and up sales. Takes entire order and repeats order to guests for clarification.
- Suggestively sells menu items, such as appetizers, entrees, beverages and desserts.
- Enters order on POS computer system quickly and in proper sequence and uses appropriate abbreviations and changes to ensure clarity to kitchen.
- Attends to guests needs when delivering food and checks back with guests to ensure their satisfaction.
- Observes guests to respond to any additional needs.
- Wait staff never asks: “How was your food?” It is appropriate to say: “We hope all was well and you had a great meal!” At that time, look at your guests for any eye or facial expressions, if they look as though there was a problem, you then say: “Was there a problem with your food?” Attempt to rectify the problem with a Manager if necessary.
- Maintain table appearance by pre-bussing, checking drink levels, removing clutter and providing extra napkins if necessary.
- Present bill upon removal of last plate, upon request or in a timely manner. Accepts payment and provides change or credit card sign off slip within 1-3 minutes of guest payment. Follows appropriate accounting procedures for closing checks, promo items, employee discounts & gift certificates.
- Assumes responsibility as a cashier, as that is part of your job. Double check your change to customers, as that is where money is lost!
- Gives a warm, sincere & pleasant farewell to guest and invites them to return. Again, never ask “How was your food?” always say, “We hope you had a great experience!”
- Keeps wait station clean. Sets up & takes down station according to opening and closing procedures.
- Adheres to company sanitation policies and procedures.
- Keeps immediate supervisor fully informed of all problems, issues or unusual matters of significance and takes prompt corrective action.
- Performs all duties and responsibilities in a timely and effective manner in accordance with established company policies to achieve the overall objectiveness of the position.
- Maintains a favorable working relationship with all other company employees to foster and promote a cooperative and harmonious working atmosphere, which will be conducive to maximum employee morale, productivity, efficiency, and effectiveness.
- Checks the cleanliness of restrooms (i.e. pickup trash on floor, ensure clean toilets and vanity area).
- Checks the cleanliness of outside perimeter of building (i.e. pickup trash, cigarette buds).
- Checks orderliness of wait staff stocking area and notifies manager of any shortages. Sets up stocking area, restocks & prepares stocking area at closing for startup the next day.
- Empties trash, sweeps, mops &/or vacuums the restaurant floor when there is no support (Hostess, bussers) available.
Job responsibilities are not limited to the responsibilities outlined here. All Duties that assist the restaurant to function successfully are part of the job.