Andrews McMeel Universal-Book Publishing Internship
Andrews McMeel Universal is a global, independent, integrated media company providing comics, illustrated humor, and inspirational content across syndication, book, calendar, and greeting card publishing, digital consumer experiences, and entertainment licensing. Our remarkable roster of talent includes dozens of New York Times best-selling authors and Pulitzer Prize-, Reuben Award-, and Emmy Award-winning creators.
We provide outstanding education and growth opportunities to qualified, hard-working, self-motivated, poised, and articulate candidates.
This is a paid internship opportunity. Consideration will be given to candidates who are immediately available and can commit to a 12-month internship averaging 40 hours/week.
- Acquire an overall view of multiple facets of the media industry
- Gain a basic understanding of internal and external communications in a fast-paced business environment
- Enhance writing skills with a focus on concise, compelling, persuasive writing for a variety of touch points, including publicity, social media, email and content marketing
- Professional development
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR HIRE
- Students of or recent graduates with a degree in Communications, Journalism/Strategic Communications, English, Creative Writing or Marketing, preferred[MOU1]
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe InDesign
- Experience working with and writing for social media; LinkedIn experience a plus
- Attentive to detail, with outstanding written communication and grammar skills
- Able to work autonomously, balance and prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines
- Provide support for the editorial and production teams
- Review submissions and write readers reports
- Do competitive research on proposals or ideas under consideration or development
- Write acquisition memos for projects being presented for acquisition
- Prepare descriptive sales copy for tip sheets
- Write cover and jacket flap copy
- Write rejection letters
- Prepare and transmit manuscripts
- Create PDFs for sales, publicity, and marketing
- Create and maintain schedules
- Check alts against proofread pages
- Copyedit and proofread press releases
- Review e-books and audiobooks for quality check
- Perform administrative tasks including copying, mailing, correspondence, etc.
- Hard-working, self-motivated, poised, articulate team player
- Excellent grammar, fact checking, and spelling skills
- Proficiency in typing, word processing, email, and Internet
- Attention to detail, able to work autonomously, balance and prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines
- Copyediting and proofreading experience helpful