Job classification: full-time, salary
Location: Rockville, Maryland US
As a growing Contract Research Organization (CRO), our work environment is fast-paced, challenging and ever adapting to meet the needs and timelines of our pharmaceutical-clients. We are passionate and self-motivated individuals working together to accelerate the challenges of oncology drug development and ultimately improve patients’ lives around the world. Join our team of highly engaged and diligent individuals and work together to find a cure!
The Study Services Supervisor will be mainly responsible for supporting in vivo oncology studies in mice, manage staff and serve as a leader to the cross functional team. Additional responsibilities include;
- Recruit and manage staff including research technicians, apprentices, and assistants within Study Services.
- Develop competency assessments and skill development plans
- Coordinate with cross-functional groups, management, and Project Leadership
- Review draft and final protocols, extract relevant information and assign responsibilities to staff, including study initiation and cross company coordination
- Evaluate, train, and mentor staff, including review of daily work task completion and monthly metrics
- Lead weekly and daily meetings to ensure task completion in timely manner
- Improve procedures and processes and investigate deviations and near-misses
- Create, review, and edit Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and processes
- Act as lead technician on studies to provide guidance to the team and serve as the work expert in studies
- Perform in-life technical procedures, therapeutic agent administration, and care for all animals
- Provide animal welfare assessments, including body weight and tumor volume measurement
- Provide perioperative animal care, including analgesia and anesthesia administration
- Record data using laboratory information management systems
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and skills
- BS/MS degree in biology, pharmacology, or related field, or minimum of 5 years of related experience
- At least 1 year of demonstrated supervisory or management experience
- Experience in contract research animal facility or industry setting is preferred
- Ability to work weekends and/or holidays as needed on a rotating schedule
- AALAS certification required (LAT or preferably LATG)
- Experience with preclinical in vivo pharmacology or oncology studies in mice
- Technical in vivo and data analysis skills
- Creative problem-solving skills and the ability to exercise sound and accurate judgment in making timely decisions.
- Superior planning, organizational, computer, written, and verbal communication skills
- Understanding of animal welfare and clinical testing regulations and standards (e.g. AAALAC, CLIA)
Physical demands and work environment
- Must be able to sit and use hands to finger, handle and feel
- Must be able to lift and move packages weighing up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time using a computer in a typical office environment in a multi-level facility
- Some activities require repetitive motion and reaching, pulling or pushing
- In carrying out the duties of the job there will be frequent exposure to fumes and chemical hazards
- Duties performed routinely require exposure to blood, body fluid and tissue
This job description may be changed to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary.
Champions Oncology is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.