The Adult Home Initiative is designed to assist Adult Home Residents to successfully transition into Supported Housing. The initiative will utilize a range of individualized and group-based peer-informed strategies to promote housing transitions, striving to empower class members through exposure to possibilities, development of self-advocacy skills, promoting informed choice, and enhancing community engagement.
Peer Bridger works to develop mentoring and supportive relationships with NYC Adult Home Residents, promoting connection and hope in an independent future in Supported Housing.
The Peer Bridger engages residents in peer-based services to identify and overcome barriers to housing transition, addressing questions and fears, while building self-advocacy and systems-navigation skills.
The job responsibilities of all staff extend to understanding and incorporating certain principles into their work and into their relationships with program participants. These principles are:
- Program participants’ right to self-determination
- Respectful communication
- Services that support recovery and healing consistent with and nurturing each participant’s cultural background, experience, identity, and values
- Clear professional boundaries to support the limits and possibilities of services
Essential Job Functions:
- Utilize a peer relationship to foster connection, trust, understanding and validation with adult home residents.
- Explore and address resident needs related to life goals, sense of purpose, physical wellness, spirituality, education, employment, socialization, and community involvement, fostering connections as needed.
- Engage residents to identify and understand barriers to housing transition.
- Utilize strength-based, motivational engagement with residents who have not been successfully engagedin transition services
- Identify and link with appropriate services for support in securing basic documents and entitlements. Help residents become familiar with and understand the range of support services available. Accompany residents on tours of available housing options and other community resources.
- Support residents during and after the move to community housing.
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.