The News Director is the strategic leader and chief editor of WHRO/Vs local and regional journalism operation, overseeing news staff, production, and output of local and regional journalism on all platforms.
- News Strategy
- Works with Chief Content Officer (CCO) and news staff to set strategic priorities and goals for WHRO/Vs news operation, including platform and programming priorities, focus topics and beats, and geographic coverage priorities.
- Implements the strategic plan for news content.
- Editorial Integrity and Quality Standards Control
- Serves as the primary keeper and champion of WHRO/Vs editorial integrity and independence standards, ensures related documents are regularly reviewed and updated and that the standards are regularly discussed, widely understood, and upheld throughout all WHRO/V departments.
- Serves as primary news editor, with responsibility for ensuring all WHRO/V news content is accurate, ethical, engaging, and in line with the highest standards of professional journalism.
- Works with Program Director to provide coaching and feedback for on-air news staff.
- Coverage Planning & Implementation
- Sets WHRO/Vs news agenda. Plans daily and long-range news coverage on all platforms.
- Oversees WHRO/Vs local news and public affairs programs.
- Creates and maintains plans for coverage of crises and breaking news, working with the CCO and other station departments as appropriate.
- Makes reporting and producing assignments.
- Community Engagement
- Works with the Director of Community Engagement, and other relevant staff to solicit and reflect community input on news coverage priorities.
- Creates opportunities for the community to engage with news content, virtually and in person.
- Works with staff in all relevant WHRO/V departments, including Community Engagement, Digital Strategies, Television Production, WHRO Classical, Marketing, and Development to leverage existing staff skills and to coordinate with station projects.
- Works with relevant staff to identify and build news-related partnerships and collaborations with other media and/or with community organizations. Oversees and/or directly manages WHRO/Vs participation in such collaborations.
- Collaborates with NPR and other national public media outlets on news coverage as appropriate.
- Management and Administration
- Manages news department staff, including providing regular feedback and performance reviews.
- Recruits for news positions and makes recommendations to CCO on personnel decisions including hiring and firing.
- Works with CCO to create news department budget; manages budget throughout the year.
- Other Duties
- Fills in for hosts and other news department staff as needed.
- Other duties as assigned