POSITION SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Medical Assistant Supervisor the Medical Assistant/Vaccine Coordinator is responsible for all vaccine management, including assistance to the providers for necessary patient care services within the scope of the clinic.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ordering vaccines
Perform a physical inventory of all vaccines in stock.
Account for doses of returned or transferred vaccines since the last order.
Complete and submit the VFC vaccine order at MyVFCVaccines.org.
- Receiving vaccines
Be present when vaccine is delivered and immediately process it into inventory.
Ensure that acceptable temperature ranges have been maintained.
- Storing vaccines
Rotate the vaccine inventory so that vaccines with shorter expiration dates are used first.
Ensure that there are no expired vaccines in the refrigerator or freezer.
Keep VFC vaccine separate from private vaccine stock.
Perform routine cleaning on vaccine storage units.
- Monitoring vaccine temperatures
Use a certified calibrated thermometer to review refrigerator and freezer temperatures.
Record minimum, current, and maximum temperatures on a VFC-supplied log twice a day.
Take immediate action if temperatures are outside acceptable ranges.
Implement the emergency vaccine management plan, if necessary.
Review vaccine temperature logs weekly.
Retain temperature logs for three years.
Monitor and Maintain CAIR immunization inventory systems and updates for all life cycles.
- Greets all patients in a professional and friendly manner.
- Takes vital signs of patients: height, weight, blood pressure, indicates reason for visit, brief review of medical history, and prepares patients for examination by provider.
- Obtains records and performs indicated “in-house” lab tests, immunization, Hemoccult and any other tests as ordered by a provider. Obtains results for providers when necessary.
- Performs rapid HIV testing.
- Performs EKG’s as ordered by a provider
- Completes necessary document accurately for all lab work.
- Provides assistance to provider during physical examination and/or specialty procedures as needed.
- Completes and enters data into patient’s records and submits all forms in a timely manner.
- Maintains medical unit supplies in laboratory and exam rooms.
- Submit monthly report of vaccine usage to Supervisor or designate person.
- Attends and participates in trainings/meetings/audits as required.
- Comply with Medical Unit Policies and Procedures
- Other duties as assigned.