Mercy Center is a comprehensive community center that has been serving women and their families in the Mott Haven section of the South Bronx, NY for over 30 years. Familia Adelante/ Family Forward is a family-enrichment collaborative project based at Mercy Center, which seeks to empower families and help them to achieve long lasting self-reliance through a mix of family coaching, financial education, advocacy, and support services.
We are seeking a Family Worker to be a member of the Familia Adelante team, providing direct case management and family coaching, advocacy, and referrals for immigrant families. The individual will also help organize workshops and recreational outings for families, and provide support to our collaboration partners; they are required to speak Spanish and English, be computer literate, and have experience in providing direct social services.
Position Title: Family Worker
Date Modified: January 2024
FLSA Classification: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Senior Director of Social Services, Family & Youth Programs
Schedule: 40 hours per week, generally Monday – Friday, including one evening shift when evening programs are operating and occasional weekend work
Position Purpose: As a member of the Familia Adelante team, provides direct case management, family coaching, advocacy and referrals for immigrant families.
- Maintain a case load of approximately 25 Familia Adelante families, which includes completing occasional home visits, weekly meetings and maintaining all records and paperwork
- Plan and facilitate workshops and events in the Familia Adelante collaboration
- Enter program data in database
- Assist program director in preparing program reports
- Assist in evaluating program activities and initiatives as needed
- Participate in program meetings, case reviews and staff meetings
- Participate in and facilitate occasional weekend events and activities
- Participate in one or more Familia Adelante weekend retreats for participants in spring
- Assist colleagues with Parenting Skills classes, transitioning to a teaching role in 2024
- Assume other tasks and responsibilities as assigned by supervisor