PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Camp Manager is accountable for the camp’s program excellence, staff engagement, and financial success. The Camp Manager has oversight of the overall operations of the camp and the daily program ensuring that the curriculum, standards and requirements are implemented and met. The Camp Manager ensures customers are engaged and strong relationships are built with families, schools and community partners. The YSC Camp Manager also ensures staff members perform effectively to meet the goals of the program. As a member of the regional and statewide camp teams, the Camp Manager may participate or lead company/regional projects that impact the policy, operation and implementation of seasonal camps.
Program Delivery and Quality
- Regularly observes camp leaders interacting with campers and implementing camp experiences/curriculum.
- Reviews and endorses the assessments conducted by camp leaders and ensures the program is compliant with internal and external quality standards.
- Develops program goals (for example, accreditation) and action plans and guide staff to achieve agreed upon goals.
- Ensure the design, delivery, and evaluation of a camp program that meet the needs and interests of youth and the local community in a safe and high quality manner.
- Keeps abreast on current developmental needs of youth and apply them in the camp setting.
- Assist camp team with collecting and analyzing input from youth, families, and staff regarding the quality, safety, and enjoyment of the program and staff.
- Assist camp team with implementing marketing plan(s) to increase camper attendance and camp usage.
- Ensure all camp operations meet best practices/guidelines in health and safety, and other CDI policies and procedures. Acts as the representative of the company in managing operational issues involving outside organizations/agencies.
- Ensures that proper training for staff is in place. Training includes: human resources, program standards and requirements, and child supervision training to ensure compliance and quality.
- Ensures required staff is kept current in CPR, First Aid, and best practice requirements around safety and supervision of students.
- Establishes strong relationships and connections with parents and campers while maintaining excellent customer service.
- Oversees and co-facilitates a camp experience that supports the holistic development of the youth in camp program.
- Establishes and maintains partnerships with local schools and community
- Ensures and maintains a reciprocal partnership with leased location representatives. Acts as first point of contact for day to day communication with location lease representatives during program operating season.
- Communicates regularly with parents/families about program happenings, updates, and promotions.
- Plans and attends family, school, and community outreach events and promotes YSC programs in such events.
- Ensures that camp staff provides families with quality camp experience and service for their children/youth by addressing any issues or concerns from families.
People Management and Development
- Communicates company goals and objectives to camp staff while implementing organizational changes in values, systems and processes.
- Continuously assesses and forecasts staffing needs in consideration of business needs and changing environment; manages staff planning and staff scheduling to ensure compliance with American Camp Association staff requirements and optimize the need for staffing.
- Assist the camp team in hiring the best candidates to match the needs of the camp program
- Lead or assist with orientation and on-boarding for new camp staff.
- Conducts formal and informal seasonal performance reviews and develop plans to improve performance.
- Manages staff performance proactively; coaches, supports and provides feedback to staff in both one-on-one as well as in team meetings so that they can deliver their best; makes decisions on disciplinary actions and termination of staff as necessary.
- Plans and holds regular team meetings; includes relevant training/development, builds team morale and cohesiveness.
- Implement recruitment and retention strategies for staffing.
Business and Financial Management
- Manage the daily operations of the camp business service
- Daily ratio sheets and staff
- Weekly financial reports to track income and expenses
- Oversee the inventory and ordering program related materials and resources
- Manage all customer service and communication functions with customers and vendors.
- Manage record keeping of camper and staff information.
- Record, file, summarize, and prepare reports related to camper registrations.
- Understands the need to know the local community and shares any business opportunities he/she becomes aware of.
- Assesses and develops enrollment goals to maximize the business for the program.
- Partners with the Program Implementation Manager and the Marketing team to develop marketing action plans.
- Implements and manages an agreed upon budget for the program; manages the operations that influence the attainment of the financial goals such as labor cost, supplies and materials, and other expenses.
- Ensures the timely financial reporting of budgets, billing, purchasing, accounts receivable, tuition, payroll, and cash accounts.
- Co-responsibility for Growth, Business development, and meeting camp and agency goals.
- Co-Develop and monitor budget for camp operations with the Program Implementation Manager.
Program Management & Quality
- Attain and maintain internal and external quality standards.
- Ensures the principles of CDI developmentally appropriate programs and other relevant quality standards reflected in the program design and implementation.
- Communication and relationships with families and community are established and sustained. Staff, children, and family’s needs are assessed, addressed and are met.
- Ensure that program has adequate resources and a quality program is consistently implemented.
- Accurate and current records maintained.
- Health, safety, and nutrition best practice requirements are met.
- Financial goals are agreed upon and met that include achieving revenue target, 100% fee collections and camp expense controls.
- Direct responsibility to increase enrollment and manage expenses.
People & Performance Management
- Mission and values communicated to all staff; behavior and outcomes of staff are consistent with the values.
- Talents acquired for the camp program and key talents/high performers retained.
- Performance criteria and expectations clearly communicated.
- Seasonal Performance review conducted on time and regular feedback given to staff.
- Management of the team at the program with a size ranging from 2-30 staff.
- Appropriate staffing model and levels of qualified staff are in place.