PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Camp Leader supports the program and operations to facilitate development of the camp through programming and is a key member contributing to building a camp of excellence.
This position is also a core position in the planning and implementing of CDI camp programs. The Camp Leader must be able to facilitate multiple camp activities, support camper social emotional development, bring energy and whimsy to the program daily via their camp persona, and have fun while insuring campers have an amazing camp experience.
Program Curriculum and Delivery
- Participate in the development and implementation of program components (i.e. leading large and small group activities, delivering curriculum, outdoor activities, reflection activities) for campers within the mission and outcomes.
- Responsible for leading or assisting with the teaching of activities.
- Provide for a progression of activities within the framework of individual and group interests and abilities.
- Assist in program areas such as enrichments, specialties, all camp activities, and unit group activities as directed.
- Provide opportunities for the group so that each individual experiences success while at camp.
- Uses stories, songs, games, skits, camp names and other elements of camp culture to create a camp atmosphere.
- Assist in the direction, supervision, and organization of campers during camp activities and throughout the camp in order to meet the intended camper outcomes.
- Apply basic youth development principles in working with campers through communication, relationship development, and respect for diversity, involvement and empowerment of youth.
- Prepare camper reports/recognition related to skill progression and time in camp
- Help campers plan, carry out and evaluate unit group activity projects.
- Support other camp functions based on need (meal preparation, cleaning, administrative)
Supervision, Health and Safety
- Maintain high standards of health and safety in all activities for campers and staff.
- Assure campers are properly supervised at all times (including transportation and field trips)
- Be aware of and implement safety guidelines; report any health & safety issues or incidents to management.
- Provide the daily care of each camper within your supervision including recognition of personal health needs.
- Be alert to equipment and facilities to ensure utilization, proper care, and maintenance is adhered to; report repairs needed promptly to camp director.
- Help the campers with daily self-maintenance tasks and taking care of personal belongings.
- Follow, model and uphold all safety and security rules, general camp procedures and practices including sanitation, schedule, and sportsmanship.
- Follow safety and security protocols when campers are in public while presenting a positive image of the camp.
- Assists with daily set-up and clean-up.
- Represent the camp when interacting with parents or community members.
- Provide parents appropriate feedback and information as needed for their campers to have a successful camp experience.
- May communicate the Summer Camp program offerings to prospective parents, families, schools, and communities.
- Participates in and leads camper engagement in camp activities.
- Assist with registration process and some administrative tasks.
- Contribute to verbal and written evaluations and communication as requested.
- Participate in all training activities that are provided by the camp that aids you in personal growth and skill development (including pre-camp orientation).