Under the direction of the Track Operations Lead, performs the operation of track facilities both in winter and summer sliding seasons. Maintains the facilities during the shoulder seasons.
- Maintenance and preparation of Bobsled\Luge\Skeleton track line and ice surfaces during operational times and during transitional periods. Tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Daily ice conditioning and repairs including: slushing, scraping and sweeping, summer maintenance, placing barricades and maintaining all starts and finishes
- Securing all shades, ropes, and trackside objects in order to keep the track safe and free of obstacles and collisions. Opening and closing shades as needed or directed in order to maintain optimal ice condition. Clean, repair and secure shades during the summer
- Event support including sled and athlete transport, track clearances, snow removal, ice, tool and facility maintenance
- Interact with athletes and the public in a professional and helpful manner. Actively promote athletic and revenue programs at the UAF
- Maintenance of vehicle operations – Reporting any collision, incident, or mechanical problems with vehicles to management in a timely manner
- Maintaining safe operating conditions
- Work toward completing the many track certifications in order to expand skills and usefulness at the Olympic Park
– for example tractor, truck, planer, clearance, and power tool certification.
- Maintaining summer and winter sleds – the ability to inspect sleds and to diagnose and repair any safety or mechanical sled issues.
- Maintaining track property and facilities
- Following the instruction of your crew leader and supervisors and asking for clarification and facilitation when needed from crew leads or management
- Communicate effectively and respectively with coaches, athletes, and other employees in order to maintain a safe, efficient, and professional environment
- Following all company policy as described in the employee handbook and all track safety and other policies as described in track handbooks and safety meetings. Reporting any injury or violation of policy immediately to crew leads and management
- Proper use of tools and maintaining the cleanliness of track operation facilities, vehicles and tools. Returning tools to their proper place after use
- Clearing the track roof as needed to prevent ice or snow from sliding into the track
- Identify and remove snow and ice from all track access points, starts, finishes, walkways, and coaches grates. Coordinate with Grounds Maintenance if needed in order to keep these areas clear.
- Report completion of tasks for review and request an assignment after a tasks completion. Work on special projects as assigned.
- Support special events and other departments as needed.
- Able to work in extreme cold and wet winter conditions
- Able to work in a manner that ensures the safety of athletes, spectators and employees
- Comfortable working with youth
- Able to work twelve hour shifts on a regular basis
- Skilled at public relations and customer service
- Knowledge of radio protocol
- Excellent oral communication
- A valid drivers license
- Must be available to work during holidays and weekends
- Minimum 18 years of age
- A valid Drivers License
- Flexible work schedule – must be available to work days, evenings, weekends and holidays
- Must be able to stand on feet for extended time and perform duties on ice surface
Environmental Job Requirements
- Ability to work outdoors in all temperature/weather extremes
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
- Hearing – to converse with others in a normal conversation and on radio
- Balancing, bending, climbing, kneeling, walking, pushing, reaching above shoulders, and sitting
- Must be able to stand on feet for extended time
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter the scope of work within the framework of the job description at any time without prior notice.