POSITION TITLE: Airport Operations Specialist
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
SALARY RANGE: $41,000 - $57,000 / Annually
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Under general direction coordinates and performs airport operations in various areas such as airside, terminal, landside, construction, security, and fleet maintenance. Ensures the facilities and support systems are appropriately maintained and functioning properly; monitors airside operations and ensures safety and efficiency, and that all activities comply with applicable rules, regulations, directives, policies, and procedures. Implements programs and performs projects that ensure safe and efficient airport operations; handles airport customer and tenant service issues and requests. Strong emphasis on being a self-starter and being able to perform work with little to no supervision.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Airfield/Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting:
- Fulfills the daily duties as assigned under the Airport Certification Manual (ACM) and FAR Part 139.
- Coordinates and performs airfield grounds maintenance with heavy equipment such as grading of safety areas, weed removal, trenching, snow removal, and general airfield grooming.
- Responds to aircraft emergencies upon notification.
- Performs firefighting activities including driving fire apparatus, operating pumps and related equipment, laying hose, fire suppression, passenger safety and egress, rendering emergency aid.
- Coordinates and performs airfield inspections and is responsible for posting Notices to Airmen (NOTAMs) in accordance with FAR Part 139, work orders, and maintenance/ security inspections on gates and fence lines.
- Coordinates and performs repair of potholes with cold or hot mix asphalt; pavement and tie-down maintenance and repair; paints markings, repairs and replaces signs and posts; and applies sand and cinders for ice control; sweeps paved areas.
- Coordinates and performs wildlife hazard control/mitigation with the legal use of firearms.
- Utilizes a computer to log all inspections, work, filing of NOTAMs, writing emails, conducting training and anything else assigned.
- Assists with Airport security related duties as requested.
- Carries cell phone and radio.
- Responds to emergency callouts including; aircraft emergencies, snow removal, security incidents and any other potential airport incidents.
- Fulfill the Airport’s Mission and Vision Values.
- Operate in a competent, safe manner a variety of vehicles and equipment required to perform duties including, but not limited to firearms, automobile, backhoe, pickup/utility truck, dump truck, sweeper, chain/trimming saws, snowplow/blower, miscellaneous power and hand tools, grader, weed eaters, lawn edger’s, loader, riding and manual lawn mowers.
- Coordinates and performs general maintenance on equipment such as safety, oil and operation checks. Cleans interior and exterior of equipment weekly. Performs general maintenance and minor repair on heavy equipment such as graders, front-end loaders, and snowplows. Repair and maintenance of other related equipment.
- Operating of fire truck and apparatus related to Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting (ARFF) duties.
- Coordinates all communication on the airfield between the Air Traffic Control Tower (ATCT), mutual aid and contractors.
- Performs all other work as required.
JOB QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
High school graduation or GED; Associates degree in aviation science, construction management or related field, is preferred; plus a minimum of three (3) years of experience in airfield maintenance or related skills in construction, heavy equipment operation, and Aircraft Rescue Firefighting (ARFF) or any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which demonstrates the ability to perform the above described duties.
Background Check: Employment with the Airport is contingent upon an education/experience background investigation, a fingerprint-based criminal history record check processed by the FBI, and upon the ability to be granted a security badge as mandated by the Transportation Security Administration.
- Possession of a valid Colorado driver’s license
- ARFF Certification required to be obtained within 6-months of employment.
- Candidates must be able to pass the ARFF/HAZWOPER medical/physical
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office preferred
Work is performed independently or as part of a work team often without direct supervision after assignment of duties.
Responsible for maintaining records and reports on assigned projects ensures accuracy and completeness of assigned projects.
The physical demands represent those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Strength and energy sufficient to maintain an active work schedule involving driving and/or physical exertion; hearing and speaking to exchange information; seeing to perform assigned duties; sitting or standing for extended periods of time; dexterity of hands and fingers to operate tools and equipment; kneeling, bending at the waist and reaching overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally as needed; lifting light to moderately heavy objects.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED:
- Including but not limited to; hand power tools, all terrain vehicles, snowplow/blower for snow removal on sidewalks and areas around aircraft and terminal buildings, mobile radio, aviation radio, backhoe, pickup/utility truck, dump truck, sweeper, chain/trimming saws, Airport vehicles, miscellaneous power and hand tools, grader, weed eaters, lawn edger’s, loader, riding and manual lawn mowers, fire truck and apparatus related to Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting (ARFF) duties, computer and firearms.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts, in high and precarious places and frequently exposed to outside weather conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and vibration.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, except during certain maintenance duties when noise levels may be loud.
Employees in this position are required to work in areas or around equipment which may meet or exceed the OSHA Hearing Conservation sound level.
This position may require shift work, weekends, and holidays.
This description covers the most significant essential and auxiliary duties performed but does not include other occasional work which may be similar, related to, or logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employee agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
- Health Insurance
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Flex Savings Account (FSA)
- Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA)
- Appleton Clinics Membership for employee and children
- Life and Accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D)
- 401(k) matching (after 1 year of service)
- Gym Reimbursement
- Paid time off
- Start with 40 hours of paid time off on you start date (new employees only)