The primary role of the Development Team Coach is to implement and assist in management of all aspects of the Devo and Devo Plus Cross Country and Biathlon Programs. Ensure the vision of Team Soldier Hollow as it applies to the Devo programs is implemented. This position reports to the Senior Manager of Sport Programs and works closely with the head coaches for Cross Country and Biathlon to support program cohesivity.
Team Soldier Hollow Devo Coaching
- Run the day-to-day operation of the Devo and Devo Plus Cross Country and Biathlon programs in accordance with Team SoHo’s guidelines.
- Understand and implement sport specific and age appropriate curriculum including daily lesson plans for Devo and Devo Plus programs in coordination with Biathlon and Cross Country Head Coaches.
- Coordinate with assistant coaches to insure consistency in daily implementation of training plans.
- Aid in further development and implementation of a clear and specific athletic training plan/curriculum for the Development Team. Curriculum will include but not be limited to: year plan, technical training, fitness training, waxing techniques, goal setting, mental training, nutrition, physical testing, equipment selection, and competition planning.
- Assist Development athletes with competition preparation: planning, rule changes, equipment checks, and logistics of competitions.
- Make recommendations to Head Coaches for athletes who are ready to move up to higher level programs.
- Assist Sr Sport Manager with identifying new athlete opportunities, with the goal of growing Team SoHo participation numbers.
- Assist with the organization of local, national and international competitions at Soldier Hollow as assigned.
- Assist with parent orientations at the beginning of each season.
- Ensure weekly program communications are delivered in a timely manner to parents and athletes.
- Ensure travel plans are communicated a minimum of two weeks prior to trips.
- Meet regularly with Head Coaches and Senior Manager of Sport Programs to discuss training/events, training plan/preparation, athlete wellness, and upcoming events. Be available to meet and communicate with parents at the beginning and end of each training session.
- Report/document any injuries or accidents to parents when child is picked up at the end of training session that the incident occurred and communicate incident with Head Coach/Sport Manager immediately
- Collaborate on recruitment opportunities for programs, such as school outreach and after school programs.
- Assist with Sport/Public/Marketing events as necessary.
- Work with marketing staff on marketing/promotional plans for the Soldier Hollow Nordic program.
- Assist with all Team SoHo and Soldier Hollow venue fundraising events as assigned.
Required Knowledge and Essential Skills
- Knowledge/experience of Cross Country and Biathlon at a regional and national level.
- Extensive knowledge of Nordic equipment and facilities.
- Excellent organizational, coordination, oral and written skills.
- Proactive and positive attitude, and able to work independently.
- Must work well in a team environment with the ability to lead.
- Proficiency with PC applications and Microsoft Office programs, such as Word, Excel, Publisher, Power Point.
- Flexible work schedule.
- Assist with public/corporate Cross Country and Biathlon programs as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Coaching background in Cross Country skiing (2 years preferred). Biathlon coaching is a plus.
- U.S. Ski and Snowboard Level 100 or equivalent.
- Safe Sport Certified & CPR/First Aid – may be acquired after hired.
- Valid Drivers License and ability to become driver certified through UOLF.
Environmental Job Requirements
- Ability to work outdoors in all temperature/weather extremes.
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter the scope of work within the framework of the job description at any time without prior notice.