Dimensional Innovations (DI) is a group of Designers, Makers and Innovators working together to create world-class experiences, places and products. Our Summer Internship Program is geared towards students entering their senior year of college, who have past, applicable internship experience. The R+D Designer Internship is an hourly (non-exempt), full-time opportunity that runs from June 6th, 2022 - August 5th, 2022. At DI, you will work on real client projects alongside some of the most creative and inventive professionals in the industry. You’ll also have some fun along the way! You will return to school with practical knowledge and experience that is sure to enhance your skill set and career goals.
R&D Designer Intern Role Summary
The R&D Designer helps to bridges the gap between design intent and project execution by providing creative direction and technical guidance throughout Lab Projects and Internal R&D initiatives.
The R&D Designer responsibilities will include form studies, 3D modeling and visualization, fabrication drawings, and assisting with the design and fabrication of both technical prototypes and physical installations. This position is involved in projects from concept development through construction documents, and often into production.
- Puts form to ideas through sketching, 3D modeling, renders and/or mock-ups and prototypes
- Focuses on design, aesthetics, and user experience
- Participates in the ideation and design processes seeking to connect new materials, processes, or technology with the needs of architectural/experiential designs
- Documents / communicates ideas and concepts
- Explores cutting edge design software and design strategies
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Proficiency in hand sketching and drawing to communicate concepts
- Proficiency in a solid modeling CAD program (Solidworks, Rhino, Fusion360, or similar)
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite
- Some experience with digital fabrication workflow (CAD/CAM, CNC, 3D printing) preferred
- Some experience with making, prototyping, creating mock-ups through use to of shop tools and processes, preferred
- Strong creative-thinker and problem-solver with ability to connect new technology with the needs of experiential / architectural designs
- Solid knowledge of design trends, construction methodology, material application and manufacturing processes
- An entrepreneurial spirit and desire to bring a fun, creative and energetic level of professionalism to the team
- Exude a “Go where needed” attitude and outlook on role
- Comfortable with failing while remaining positive
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to carry out instructions provided in written, oral or diagram form
- Ability to evaluate urgency of situation and prioritize tasks
- Organized with an attention to detail
- Preferred majors: Industrial Design, Architecture, Environmental Design, or similar degree
- Minimum experience requirement: completion of junior year of college
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume and portfolio to www.dimin.com/careers. Applications will close on January 31st, 2022. Having the Innovations Lab Intern onsite in our Kansas City location is required.
Candidates must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test and hold a valid driver’s license. Dimensional Innovations is an Equal Opportunity Employer and depends on diversity of ideas, skills and perspectives to solve the world's toughest creative challenges, encouraging and amplifying every voice so we can create remarkable experiences for all.