POSITION SUMMARY: Under the direction of the COO, the Executive Director of Early Childhood Development (EEC) is responsible for the major leadership and advancement of Preschool, Childcare and Afterschool Care for the Crossroads YMCA. The EEC will oversee the development and implementation of innovative curriculum and activities, as well as supervise, guide and develop leaders and team members to ensure that all participants development occurs in a fun, healthy and safe environment while ensuring program outcomes are consistently achieved. The ECC is a vital member of YMCA leadership staff and a highly visible representative of the YMCA mission, core values and are accountable for knowing and properly executing all YMCA policies and procedures.
- Contributes to the overall Y mission of strengthening communities through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
- Administer programs in accordance with Indiana Department of Children and Families Rules and Regulations for Childcare, National Early Learning standards, and Y-USA’s Healthy Eating and Physical Activity Standards for Early Childhood and Afterschool programs.
- Lead all program efforts by providing direction, leadership, support, and efficiencies for team members through fiscal management, strategic planning, administrative standardization, crisis intervention, quality standards, and risk management.
- Champion program curriculums, development, staffing and set standards that achieve programmatic outcomes that are reviewed and verified through audits, surveys, and regular participant feedback.
- Secure new funding sources by researching and pursuing grant opportunities and working with the branch leaders to leverage donor relationships, communications and Annual Campaign.
- Assess unmet childcare needs in the community and initiate short-term and long-term plans for growth of the Childcare and School Age programs that are consistent with the Y’s strategic plan.
- Develop, manage and maintain an annual budget of income and expense for all Preschool, Childcare and School Age serving sites while analyzing trends and taking corrective action to offset negative trends.
- Maintain a program that meets the developmental, emotional, physical, intellectual and social needs of children in these programs through age-appropriate key experiences.
- Ensure children’s health and safety by ensuring that all staff is thoroughly trained and follow standards set forth in department and association policies.
- Implement the Y’s Risk Management Program to ensure safe facilities and programs for members, volunteers and staff.
- Ensure emergency preparedness through the regular execution of emergency drills and assessment.
- Ensure that all staff maintain required certifications and are aware of the expiration dates of their current certifications.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key partners, and other collaborative organizations and agencies related to portfolio.
- Respond to all participant and community inquiries in a timely manner.
- Play a key role in the Annual Campaign by ensuring all staff is asked to give and provide a reply; by facilitating or supporting a campaign effort or event; by collecting and sharing stories of Y impact; and by engaging volunteers in our cause-driven work and/or campaign efforts.
- Responsible for other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education, Teaching Degree with Kindergarten Endorsement and/or Child Development Associate Degree is required.
- Minimum five years of experience in administration of childcare or recreation programming required.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
- Strong public relation skills with excellent interpersonal, communication, and problem-solving skills.
- Able to lead people and obtain results through others.
- Able to manage multiple priorities with a high volume of work.
- Adept computer skills necessary, experience with Microsoft Office and ability to quickly learn other software programs.
- Ability to respond to safety and emergency situations.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Multi Team Leader):
The National YMCA Mission:
“To put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind, and body for all.”
Mission Advancement: Reinforces the Ys values within the organization and the community. Effectively communicates the benefits and impact of the YMCA’s efforts for all stakeholders. Implements effective systems to develop volunteers at program, fundraising, and policy leadership levels. Secures resources and support for all philanthropic endeavors.
Collaboration: Develops strategies to ensure staff and volunteers reflect the community. Builds and nurtures strategic relationships to enhance support for the YMCA. Serves as a community leader building collaboration based on trust and credibility to advance YMCA mission and goals. Communicates for influence to attain buy-in and support of goals. Provides tools and resources for the development of others.
Operational Effectiveness: Integrates multiple thinking processes to make decisions. Involves members and community in the development of programs and activities. Ensures execution of plans. Institutes sound accounting procedures, investment policies, and financial controls. Assigns clear accountability and ensures continuous improvement.
Personal Growth: Fosters a learning environment embracing diverse abilities and approaches. Creates a sense of urgency and positive tension to support change. Anticipates challenges that can sidetrack or derail growth and personal learning. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- CPR and First Aid certifications required.
- Visual, auditory, and verbal ability to communicate effectively.
- Must have high level of alertness, concentration, and initiative.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. and stand, walk, or sit for extended periods of time; occasionally stoop/bend.
- Maintain a neat and professional appearance at all times.