Job Title - Billing Specialist
This position handles all billing and collections activities from initial matter intake through final billing. This is a hands-on position that works closely with the attorneys, assistants, timekeepers, clients and the accounting department to ensure accurate and timely billing in accordance with the firm’s billing policy and procedures.
The essential duties and responsibilities listed below are intended only as illustrations of various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to be completed by the position.
- Review initial matter intake requests and confirm accuracy of data entered through intake workflow. Review to include client billing guidelines and summarizing those guidelines into billing notes.
- Establish billing rate sets as required by terms of engagement and ensure they are correctly linked to each matter.
- Generate, launch and monitor status of prebills through the Aderant Expert Billing workflow.
- Process and finalize bill edits as directed by the billing attorney or their secretary.
- Assemble back-up documentation for costs invoiced to clients to provide with invoice.
- Print and mail invoices to those clients requesting paper billing.
- Using the BillBlast system prepare and submit electronic invoices in accordance with client and e-billing vendor guidelines. Track billings and research and resolve issues associated with electronic invoicing.
- Communicate with internal and external clients. Answer client inquiries via phone and email. Keep appropriate documentation by logging conversations, e-mails and other communications. Organize documentation as to facilitate follow-up efforts using the Aderant Collections software.
- Assist attorneys and client with requests for information related to billing and payments, including providing information for client audit letter responses.
- Maintain quality relationships with the attorneys and clients. These relationships can be critical with collection efforts. Involve Director of Finance and keep her appropriately informed of issues, especially those which are escalating or need special attention.
- Contact clients (with billing partner approval) regarding invoices/accounts which are past due. Provide information as requested in order to facilitate a quick remittance.
- Perform testing and implementation of new system enhancements.
- Maintain files and documentation thoroughly and accurately, in accordance with firm policy and procedure and accepted accounting practices.
- Duties related to processing of incoming mail, scanning of documents, document pulls, and filing/archiving shared with the accounting team.
- Special projects may include assisting with heightened or escalated month-end needs and testing of new software features. On occasion, weekend hours or extended weekday hours could be necessary.
There are no supervisory responsibilities.
The following are competencies required to be successful in this position:
• Critical Thinker
The ability to gather relevant information, interpret and evaluate the data, and make informed decisions. Develop sound, practical solutions and make timely decisions; provide creative solutions to difficult issues.
• Effective Communicator (Written and Oral)
The ability to communicate clearly and coherently, interpreting information and adapting communication to suit particular situations and audience needs.
• Strong Interpersonal Skills
The ability to develop and maintain relationships with others, and to work with others toward a common goal by working cooperatively, developing positive relationships, and providing information and assistance willingly.
The ability to develop and apply comprehensive planning and organizing strategies to ensure projects are appropriately prioritized and resources are used effectively and efficiently.
The ability to see opportunities to make improvements and independently choose strategies to achieve them; envisions new and innovative possibilities and acts on them independently to achieve benefits. Ability to anticipate work needs and follow-up on own initiative. Ability to accomplish responsibilities with minimum supervision and in a timely manner while communicating consistently and appropriately with the supervisor regarding projects being handled, problems incurred and recommended solutions.
• Manages Change
The ability to change directions quickly as workflow needs change, and to respond with flexibility to a changing work environment.
• Technical Skills/Learning
The ability to quickly learn and integrate new technical skills and knowledge; seeks out avenues to enhance technical skills.