Job Purpose: Be a medical provider for SPCA Tampa Bay Veterinary Center, for owned pets in our community, as well as TNVR.
Serve in one or more assigned veterinary roles on designated shift as personal qualifications allow:
Responsibilities and Duties:
Veterinarian- General Practice
- Conduct hospital services including: exams, vaccinations, general surgery and dentistry, and sick patient care of owned pets in the Tampa Bay area.
- Provide high quality, high volume spay-neuter for owned cats, dogs, and community cats.
- Provide friendly, responsive and personalized customer service.
- Work collaboratively with local private practice veterinarians in coordinating patient care.
- Provide care for shelter animals, on limited basis, in coordination with the Shelter Veterinarian.
- Provide animal stories for SPCA media staff.
- Monitor and update as necessary the standards and protocols of animals care, handling, and sanitation.
- If needed, provide direction and assist in recruitment, selection and evaluation of other department staff.
- Ensure department staff maintain accurate and updated records in appropriate medical record software.
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment.
- Participate in required meetings and trainings, special events and fund raising functions.
- Professionally represent SPCA Tampa Bay at all times.
- Mentor veterinary students in the externship program and veterinarians completing an internship.
- All other duties as assigned.
- VMD or DVM (new graduates considered)
- Continuous education to maintain current knowledge of legislation and regulations.
- One to two years experience with canine and feline medicine.
- Training in high quality/high volume spay/neuter surgery, with ability to complete 25-35 surgeries per day.
- Experience with other species desirable.
- Experience or additional education in shelter medicine preferred, but not required.
Licensure or Certification:
- Veterinariae Medicinae Doctoris (VMD) or Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM)
- State of Florida Business License – Veterinarian
- Valid Florida driver’s license with acceptable driving record
- Ability to provide excellent service and care for customers and animals.
- Ability to create an environment that promotes excellent customer service at all levels and by all positions.
- Ability to function in a busy environment.
- Ability to be flexible and work within a rapidly changing environment.
- Possess a genuine concern for animals and their welfare.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with other employees, board members, community members and volunteers.
- Strong analytical and financial skills, including problem solving and critical thinking.
- Integrity and ability to build trust relationships and to communicate in an open and transparent manner.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion.
- Demonstrated oral, written and spokesperson presentation skills.
- Strong leadership and management skills including ability to achieve results through others.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Avimark, and PetPoint shelter software.
- Ability to operate computer, printer, copier, telephone, fax machine and smartphone.
- Moderate physical effort – regularly lifting or moving up to 25 pounds and occasionally up to 50 pounds.
- Walking and prolonged standing.
- Stooping, kneeling, bending and crouching.
- Carrying, pushing and/or pulling.
- Facility operations include areas of high noise levels.
- Exposure to animal feces and potential for scratches and bites.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Reliable transportation.
- Ability to pass required background checks.