The Westminster Schools is committed to providing the best technology resources and solutions in support of the school's' mission. The IT Services department is responsible for monitoring the technology needs of the school, evaluating new and emerging technologies, and providing the resources necessary to enhance communication for all members of the school community. The IT Services department is also responsible for supporting professional development as it pertains to the integration of technology in the classroom, while maintaining equipment necessary to support the academic and administrative needs of the school.
Reporting directly to the Director of Applications and Data, the IT Services Data Analyst serves as the integrator of information technology data and business intelligence initiatives and works closely with other school departments to deliver the expected strategic benefits to the Westminster Schools. The IT Services Data Analyst must possess technological expertise and leadership experience that will allow an ability to synthesize and then prioritize competing needs for The Westminster Schools’ limited resources. The IT Services Data Analyst ensures that the overall data vision is executed and key reporting mechanisms are maintained. This position provides efficient and flexible services with a strong customer service commitment and user satisfaction as the ultimate goal.
Supervisor: Director of Applications and Data
Supervisory Responsibilities: N/A
Position Status: This is a salaried, exempt, full-time, regular, 12-month position.
Hours of Work: Standard work week. Evening and weekend work may be required.
- Refine existing and help develop and evangelize new business intelligence reporting and analytics strategy by actively participating in the BI roadmap
- Establish, maintain and administer the reporting environment, including distribution and updating reports and dashboards
- Interact, support, consult and collaborate with all departments to define metrics and deliver standardized and ad-hoc reports and data to speed decision making
- Identifies actionable insights, suggest recommendations, and influence the direction of the business by effectively communicating findings to cross functional groups
- Designs and models data to meet reporting and analytics needs - including security modeling
- Collaborates with other BI team members to enable data integration from disparate large data sources.
- Drives collection of new data, and refinement of existing data sources
- Develops and manages interactive dashboards, data visualizations, and self-service BI solutions
- Performs data analysis (cohort, time-series, etc.) to generate deep actionable insights for business questions
- Understands business problems and proactively offers technical solutions, using traditional and emerging concepts and technologies.
- Communicates complex technical concepts in a manner that a business expert can understand.
- Performs extensive data analysis including data profiling and data quality analysis.
- Develops and documents standardized user processes and procedures and “how to” documentation
- Performs related duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Bachelor’s Degree or higher is preferred. Preference will be given to candidates with degrees in a math, scientific, or IT-related environment such as computing, data, engineering, or business. Preference will be given to a candidate bringing a deep understanding of K-12 academic and administrative culture, mission and goals, or higher education environment or corporation which serves education.
- Strong customer service orientation, good written and oral communication skills, keen attention to details with strategic and holistic mindset, self-motivated, and directed.
- 2+ years of related experience (advanced degree may substitute for experience)
- Intermediate proficiency with SQL (query writing, database creation/management, and basic stored procedures/functions)
- Intermediate proficiency with SQL Server ETL (Extract, Transform, Load)
- Proven experience with Microsoft Excel including pivot tables and Power Query
- Proven experience with Tableau, PowerBI and/or other data visualization tools and design
- Experience with Veracross Student Information System is a plus
- Experience with SSB Data Management and BI platform is a plus
- Excellent analytical and problem- solving skills (find meaning in the data)
- Ability to prototype statistical analysis and modeling algorithms and apply to data driven solutions
- A team player – friendly, positive, fun, collaborative
- High level of intellectual curiosity
- A strong desire to learn emerging technologies and innovate new solutions
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills and attention to detail
- A proven track record of making things happen as a result of analytical work
- A proven track record of working with non-technical end users to understand their needs then delivering solutions to fit those needs
- Ability to tackle challenges in a fast-paced and changing environment, manage user expectations and potential risks.
- Ability to multitask and handle multiple projects.
- Excellent organizational and polished communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including tact, diplomacy, confidentiality, and judgement.
- Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy.
- Commitment to the mission of The Westminster Schools and willingness to serve as an ambassador for the School.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is required to sit; stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle and feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl; talk and hear; engage in moderate strenuous physical activity both indoors and out. The employee may occasionally lift or move up to 60 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Travel is primarily associated with conferences and professional development opportunities.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
Westminster is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment. It is Westminster’s policy to provide equal employment opportunities and administer terms and conditions of employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. EOE/M/F/D/V.
Note: This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work to be performed by employees within this classification. This position description should not be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required or assigned to an employee in this position. Nothing contained in this position description restricts Westminster’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.