The Atlantic Council seeks an entrepreneurial, dynamic, self-starting, and solutions-oriented individual to serve as Deputy Director of board relations and strategic planning. This job reports directly to the President and CEO in partnership with the Vice President of Development. It involves all aspects of organizing, managing, and convening the Atlantic Council’s Board of Directors and International Advisory Board, a unique group of global leaders that includes former government officials, former military officers, and business leaders.
The best candidate will have strong writing, editing, organizational and interpersonal skills. International experience is a must, and international language capabilities are helpful. Experience in fundraising and strategic planning is also a plus.
Along with managing board governance issues, the Deputy Director will be an integral part of the Council’s efforts to develop and implement strategies to maintain current major sources of funding and secure new funding opportunities.
The Deputy Director will work closely with the President/CEO and the Development team to implement special development projects related to both current and potential major partners, exercising independent decision-making on behalf of the President/CEO when appropriate. The Deputy Director will also spearhead preparations for regular quarterly Executive Committee meetings, bi-annual Nominating and Governance Committee meetings, and other special board meetings, including administrative and strategic planning tasks. This position will also manage board governance and oversight issues and ensure that Council bylaws are adhered to.
Working collaboratively with the Council’s fourteen programs and centers, as well as the development, events, and communications teams, the Deputy Director will support other major board-related initiatives and will develop strategies for effective board engagement and stewardship. The Deputy Director will also oversee board-specific programming, including the annual IAB and board meetings, and bespoke, high-level programming for Atlantic Council supporters.
- Cultivate and steward operational and strategic relations with the Board of Directors (150 global policy and business leaders) and International Advisory Board (45 global CEOs and former heads of state)
- Prepare and execute annual board dues campaign.
- Spearhead preparations for regular quarterly Executive Committee meetings, bi-annual Nominating and Governance Committee meetings, and other special board meetings, including administrative and strategic planning tasks
- Spearhead annual review process of Board and International Advisory Board with Nominating & Governance Committee
- Shepherd vetting of potential government funding through Nominating & Governance Committee of Board to ensure compliance with the Foreign Agents Registration Act and strict intellectual independence policy
- Drive Board communications and business development strategies to proactively identify opportunities and enforce ethical standards; write and edit strategic communications to Board
- Work with President/CEO and Executive Vice President for Programs/Strategy to set annual strategy
- Serve as internal and external liaison for the board chair and IAB chair.
- Orchestrate annual International Advisory Board meetings with cabinet-level US government officials and other bespoke programming opportunities for Atlantic Council supporters
- Manage and supervise personnel within board relations department (currently one FTE)