Founded in 1947 by Nina Vance, the Alley Theatre is a pioneer of regional theatre, and one of the leading nonprofit theatre companies in the United States. The Alley has been awarded the prestigious Regional Theatre Tony Award® and the Texas Medal of Arts Award. The Alley has transferred productions to Broadway, Off-Broadway, major European Festivals, and to 40 American cities. Unique among regional theatres, the Alley is committed to maintaining a Resident Acting Company and providing them work year-round. Nationally recognized directors, actors, playwrights, and designers from across the country have regularly joined the Resident Acting Company.
Rob Melrose, Artistic Director at the Alley, took over as artistic leader of the organization in 2019. His vision for the future of the Alley is both thrilling and ambitious as the Theatre nears its 75th anniversary in 2021-22. When the Theatre reopens, his strategic goals include upholding the Alley’s artistic excellence, keeping longtime Alley Theatre devotees eager to return each season, and creating productions and cultivating new audiences that are as diverse and vibrant as the city of Houston.
Rob Melrose, Managing Director Dean Gladden and the Alley’s leadership team are committed to promoting Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) in all aspects of the Theatre’s programming and operations. We are conscious about fostering an environment where everyone is encouraged to bring their authentic selves. We embrace differences and strive to be inclusive of all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives.
STATEMENT OF JOB
The Development Officer position will be responsible for managing a portfolio of 100 individual donors and prospects with the capacity to give between $5,000 and $15,000 annually. This position will be part of the Individual Giving team and will work closely with the Director of Individual Giving, Gift Officers, and the Research Analyst.
- Responsible for securing a minimum of $400,000 annually through direct donor solicitations.
- Manage a portfolio of 100 individual donors at any given time. Portfolio will consist of renewing donors, lapsed donors, and donor prospects, who have the capacity to give between $5,000 and $15,000 annually.
- Work with Director of Individual Giving and Research Analyst to identify new members of the organization’s Artistic Director’s Circle patron group. These donors and prospects have the capacity to make annual gifts of $10,000 or more.
- Enter all donor interactions into database to ensure accurate reporting and portfolio management.
- Work virtual and in-person patron events with the intent to build relationships with Alley Theatre donors. Events include Greenroom duty, Center stage dinners, insider patron events, and rehearsals.
- Stay informed of all performance, educational, and digital activity taking placed at the Alley to provide regular updates to constituents and maintain a strong relationship with prospects and donors.
- Be an active participant in a team-based fundraising department and provide additional assistance to other development staff members when possible.
- Meet stated financial and strategic goals. Job performance will be determined by evaluating revenue generated and meaningful interactions conducted.