Education and Experience
Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited institution.
Seven (7) plus years of related experience.
Five (5) years of progressively responsible supervisory/management experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The employee is expected to perform or possess the following:
- Ability to gain thorough knowledge of Prince George’s County Memorial Library System’s practices, policies and procedures.
- Ability to act as a representative of Prince George’s County Memorial Library System’s to the public.
- Thorough knowledge of established library programming and community relations practices and procedures required.
- Thorough knowledge of virtual and online services, practices and procedures required.
- Strong communication and customer service skills.
- Strong organization and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and with volunteers.
- Ability to operate relevant computer systems including hardware and software, such as Microsoft Office Suite, electronic databases, e-mail, and internet navigation in addition to other office equipment and security systems.
Necessary Special Requirements
- Valid driver’s license in good standing required.
- Maryland Professional Librarian Certification required; ability to secure certification as a Professional Public Librarian in the State of Maryland within six-months following appointment.
Physical and Environmental Conditions
Work is conducted in a normal office setting which provides comfortable lighting, temperature and air conditions. Occasional light lifting, such as three to four reams of paper, four or five books, or other materials (up to 20 pounds) may be required.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts which require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices or meeting rooms, e.g. use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls and observance of fire regulations.
Submit an online application with a cover letter and resume. This position will be open until filled. We offer an attractive benefits package, including multiple health insurance options, retirement savings plans, and generous paid time off. For additional information about the library system, visit http://www.pgcmls.info.