- High school diploma or GED certificate.
- Proficient in spelling, arithmetic.
- One to two years of part-time or full-time general work experience preferred.
- Work experience in a shelter or similar facility preferred.
- Six months animal handling experience preferred.
Licensure or Certification:
- Valid Florida driver’s license with acceptable driving record.
- CVT or similar animal science credential desired.
- Ability to provide excellent service and care for customers and animals.
- Ability to exercise critical thinking in making judgments.
- Ability to follow directions.
- Ability to handle sensitive/confidential information with discretion.
- Ability to operate computer, tablet, printer, copier, telephone, fax machine and smartphone.
- Ability to work collaboratively and serve as an effective liaison with other departments.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Integrity and ability to build trust relationships.
- Posses a genuine concern for all animals and their welfare.
- Possess knowledge of and experience with humane methods of care, restraint and handling of all animals.
- Possess mature judgment and flexibility in handling a variety of situations.
- Strong problem solving abilities.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Pet Point.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Activities require the handling and transporting of SPCA pets of all sizes.
- Carrying, pushing and/or pulling.
- Moderate physical effort – regularly lifting or moving up to 25 lbs. Occasionally up to 50 lbs.
- Occasional exposure to animal feces and potential for scratches and bites.
- Occasional exposure to high noise levels, such as in dog kennels.
- Stooping, kneeling, bending and crouching.
- Walking and prolonged standing.
It is not possible to detail nor anticipate everything an employee may be required to do, therefore it is understood that my job may require me to perform other duties as assigned which might include, but are not limited to: new duties, duties previously assigned to another position, and assistance to others in completion of their normal duties.
I understand that job descriptions may be revised or altered from time to time at the sole discretion of the SPCA Tampa Bay for any reason.
This job description is not intended to and does not constitute an expressed or implied contract between any individual and the SPCA Tampa Bay. All employment is “at-will.”