Join our network of Recess and Physical Education Coaches!
Be Part of Our Movement to Inspire the Next Generation
WHO WE ARE
Kids in the Game sport and enrichment-based programs can be found in schools and communities across New York City, serving thousands of children every year. Our goal is to provide positive experiences and opportunities through sports and creative play. We inspire kids to embrace new experiences, adopt a healthy lifestyle, and build integrity. Our work is focused on achieving five ultimate impacts:
- Enhancing emotional intelligence
- Creating a positive sense of self
- Developing NYC into the nation’s top talent hub Integrating our communities
- Narrowing the income inequality gaps
Kids in the Game is a Certified B Corporation and we’re committed to doing business for good. We are striving every day to have a positive impact in the lives of our youth, and we believe that it all starts with being the best part of their day.
To learn more about our programs and our team, visit www.kidsinthegame.com.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We’re currently interviewing and hiring coaches, college students, and youth development specialists to join our network of Recess and Physical Education (PE) coaches as of Fall 2022. Positions would start in September 2022 and last through May-June 2023.
About the role: Recess & PE Coaches lead group games and physical education classes in schools across New York City during the school year. Coaches organize games and challenges that promote physical activity and positive interaction among children and young adults from Pre-K to middle school. Your goal is to develop motor skills and physical development among younger children and encourage proper exercise and eating habits among older children. You must be able to adapt your activities to accommodate and include children with different physical and development abilities.
Qualifications: If you have experience leading games for large groups of kids, want to become a PE teacher or stronger coach, or already have an educational background in PE / sports management, this role is for you!
As a Recess coach, you should expect to facilitate group games in an outdoor yard or gym space for 20-100 students. As a PE coach, you should expect to teach a full PE curriculum for class sizes of 15-20 students. We provide training and curricula resources that will give you a wealth of games and class lessons to help you lead a year-round recess and physical education classes for different age groups and sizes.
Besides possessing a strong background in physical fitness and group instruction, Recess & PE coaches must have strong speaking and listening skills to effectively lead class sessions and maintain a well-structured learning environment.
Weekly Schedule: Our Recess & PE coaches are expected to work 15-20 hours per week in different schools throughout the week. Most recess programs operate 3-5 days per week for 2-3 hours per day (morning hours). Most PE programs operate 3-5 days per week for 4-5 hours per day (morning and afternoon).
- Teach skills and enhance children’s knowledge of physical fitness, health education, rhythm and dance, as well as individual and team sports, through Kids in the Game curriculum
- Work cooperatively with other Kids in the Game staff members in planning a balanced recess & physical education program
- Analyze, demonstrate, and explain basic skills, knowledge, and strategies of formal sports, games rhythms, and fundamentals of body movement
- Provide individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the developmental needs of each child
- Provide appropriate safety instruction and conduct safety checks on equipment and field areas to insure the overall safety of all sports equipment and school spaces
- Implement best practices in child behavior management to provide an orderly, productive environment in physical education classes and group activities
- Evaluate each child's growth in physical skills, knowledge, and contribution in team sports, and share regular progress reports with school administrators and Kids in the Game’s program management team
- Collaborate with school administrators to develop the method by which he/she will be evaluated in conformance with district guidelines.
- Communicate with parents and school counselors on each child’s progress
- Performs other duties as may from time to time be assigned by the supervisor to successfully implement the physical education program
Compensation: This is a part-time, hourly position. We offer competitive hourly rates in the range of $20-$25 per hour for recess and PE coaches based on prior experience as a general coach and background in school-based or PE instruction.
WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE ABOUT US
- We are a youthful, passionate, committed team of individuals that care about our youth and city
- We are committed to developing innovative, creative programs that promote creative play and sports skill development
- We work hard and push each other personally and professionally to keep growing
- We offer you the freedom to reach new parts of NYC while working in diverse communities
- We are an active team and regularly participate in company social leagues, team-building activities, and sporting events
OUR COMMITMENT TO YOU
At Kids in the Game, you can expect to be welcomed into an engaging and spirited environment that emphasizes the importance of teamwork, open communication, and collaboration. We are proud to foster an inclusive environment where our team members feel respected by and connected to one another. We value the unique experiences, perspectives, and passions of our employees, and we look forward to adding dynamic personalities to our team.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: We are committed to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment for all of our interns and employees. We recruit candidates from across the city, state, and country, from all cultural and socio-economic backgrounds. We have developed partnerships with organizations that allow us to target our hiring practices to include chronically discriminated against or low-income groups, and improve their access to high-quality employment opportunities.