Reed Construction is a fifth-generation, family-owned General Contractor with over 125 years of experience in the construction industry. Reed is well-known for its unmatched level of reliability, attention to detail, and customer experience. We are looking for driven Project Manager with inherent leadership abilities to join our Operations Team. The perfect candidate enjoys collaborating, building great projects, and ultimately delivering an exceptional project experience both internally and externally.
The Project Manager will supervise and coordinate all phases of construction from initial planning through completion. Ultimately, the Project Manager is responsible for project success, client satisfaction and financial performance. The ideal candidate will work closely with our field and project management teams to ensure that work is delivered on-time, within budget, and to the highest degree of quality that Reed Construction is known for. This person will lead and drive the project team to deliver an enjoyable and extraordinary project experience.
- Develop project schedules identifying critical path
- Ability to update project schedule daily or weekly while identify lost days and makeup days
- Execute accurate AIA prime contracts, subcontracts and purchase orders
- Has familiarity with various AIA contract structures including but not limited to the AIA 101, 102, 133 & 134 contracts
- Ability to lead a bid team and execute competitive lump sum bidding, GC & Fee proposals, GMP development and Cost Plus pricing development
Additional Beneficial Experience
- Experience with Design Build MEP process
- Experience with BIM Design process
- Experience with BIM Execution process
- Produce detailed budgets at all levels of drawings including basic narratives, SD Drawings, DD Drawings and CD Drawings
- Focus on civil/land development and building core and shell construction
- Perform in house estimates and takeoffs using industry knowledge, historical data & unit costing
- Proficient in mass grading estimating to identify site conditions, cut/fill quantities, balancing of site, stabilization provisions and any required allowances to achieve design subgrade and a pad ready status
- Proficient in reviewing geotechnical information and reports
- Proficient in unit costing for undercutting unsuitable soils, on-site borrow placement, import and placement of various aggregates, exporting of excess spoils, and chemical stabilization methods
- Has the knowledge and experience to recommend specific allowance based on project site and building size for chemical stabilization, undercuts, pumping, de-mucking, winter conditions, and overtime
- Assembles and prepares complete and well thought-out estimates; clarifies specific information and assumptions
- Manages the solicitation of vendors for pricing; recommends contract awards along with pre-purchase and buyout strategies
- Manage successful projects with a focus in Civil/land development, building core and shell (structural, envelope, MEP Infrastructure)
- Manage complete interior buildout of all associated projects if required
- Handles multiple projects simultaneously at various stages and locations, applying a strong knowledge of construction trades
- Attends and runs project meetings and generates meeting agendas
- Conduct on-site weekly team meetings, OAC meetings and coordination meetings
- Provide solutions to civil site design challenges
- Qualify and identify long lead items
- Manages information, establishes expectations and maintains quality and cost effectiveness in the overall project
- Communicates effectively with fellow project team to ensure clarity and visibility of accountabilities; runs focused and concise meetings with agendas
- Manages project cost controls; change orders, owner change orders, and cost forecasting
- Runs monthly cost reports to forecast gross margin profits and strategizes on how to stay on track and/or exceed current margin
- Manages pay application process for accuracy and meeting monthly billing deadlines
- Assist field supervision in maintaining a focus on quality for all projects; promote a strong safety culture on all projects
- Proactively identifies and solves project issues; involves the Team Leader when needed
- Delegate assignments to both Project Engineers and Assistant Project Managers
- Handles pressure and confrontation effectively; remains calm and cool-headed
- Proficient in project management software, including: Procore, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project, On-Screen Takeoff, Bluebeam, Sage Timberline
- Enhance Reed Construction’s reputation with the Client/ Architect/ Trade Partner through performance on and off projects.
- Expands client network by planning and attending appropriate social and business events.
- Identifies business development opportunities; performs follow up calls chasing bids; negotiates and closes deals
Travel Percentage: 0-100%
Travel is required. Amount of travel may vary based on project location and staffing requirements. Travel may be defined as periodic project site visits or require full-time on-site management.
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Engineering, Construction Management, related field preferred
- Minimum of 10+ years of experience in the commercial construction industry preferred
- Experience with civil projects including land development/mass grading, site utilities and primary utility procurement
- Experience with new/ground up building construction
- Travel is required. Must be able to travel outside of Chicagoland area and or out-of-state in order to execute certain responsibilities
- Ability to read, understand and interpret contract documents, drawings, specifications, scopes of work, and project schedules
- Excellent communications skills and is able to work well with a wide range of personalities
- Ability to collaboratively lead a project team, delegate, and work toward multiple deadlines
- A strong sense of urgency with the ability to quickly analyze and react to complex issues and resolve effectively
- Goal-oriented – able to foresee and circumvent risk, react quickly to changing circumstances and still achieve the desired results
- Organized with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good presentation skills; ability to persuade others; good negotiation skills
- Proficiency in various project management software such as Procore
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of all the activities, duties or responsibilities required of this position.
Reed Construction is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.