Travel Percentage: 0-100%
Travel is required. Amount of travel may vary based on project location and supervision requirements.
Project Superintendents are Reed Construction’s first line of defense on job sites. Responsibilities include oversight of all day-to-day site operations, including scheduling, coordination and delegation of subcontractor work, quality control and ensuring the safety of everyone on a project site.
As a member of the Field Operations Team, the Traveling Superintendent is responsible for running the day-to-day field operations of singular mid-sized projects. This role will plan, direct and coordinate designated project activities ensuring consistency with Company strategy, project goals and objectives. The Superintendent will also perform quality control and subcontractor/vendor coordination activities.
The ideal candidate will work closely with our project management staff and assigned trade partners to ensure that work is being completed on-time, within budget and to the highest degree of quality that Reed Construction is known for. The incumbent must be able to demonstrate strong leadership capabilities and do whatever is reasonably necessary to perform the required duties and responsibilities listed below.
- Coordinate daily subcontractor activities including pre-installation meetings with each trade contractor.
- Initiate a project quality plan in collaboration with the project team.
- Monitor initiatives, document associated observations, and ensure Trade Partners/Vendors and self-perform trades compliance to Reed Construction’s quality of work standards.
- Verify actual field conditions by conducting jobsite walkthroughs.
- Assist preconstruction and the project team in development of an initial project master schedule.
- Monitor and maintain the detailed master construction schedule, create three-week look-ahead schedule that coincides with the master schedule, track critical dates of all activities affecting the project completion, document delays, and communicate updates to project stakeholders as required.
- Initiate a project safety plan in collaboration with the safety team and monitor safety initiatives as required.
- Walk project site daily to review conditions/progress and complete audits, inspections and daily logs, which document day-to-day job activities.
- Manage daily safe work plans and weekly toolbox talks.
- Report incidents, property damage, and safety/quality matters for proper communication and investigation immediately.
- Coordinate, participate and facilitate weekly MEP Coordination, pre-installation, pull planning meetings as required. Prepare and distribute meeting minutes, as required.
- Review construction documents for constructability and conformity. Compare shop drawings and submittals to contract documents and coordinate among various trade activities.
- Maintain construction documents on site in Procore.
- Generate field documentation to assist the Project Team in final submissions to approving authorities. Ensure final inspections and tests are timely.
- Generate pre-punch and punch lists, determine responsible subcontractor for each item and follow up with Trade Partners to ensure timely completion.
- Interact and establish credibility with clients, owner reps, architects and other project stakeholders.
- Build, strengthen and maintain relationships with clients/owners, owner reps and trade partners/vendors. Establish repeat client/owner relationships.
- Participate in presentations and interviews for new potential projects.
- Mentor and train less-senior field operations staff, interns and other staff members as needed.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- Bachelor s degree from four-year College or university in construction, engineering or architecture related fields is preferred; or equivalent training and related experience
- Minimum of 10-15 years supervisory experience as a Superintendent in building construction trades and a clear understanding of the business side of construction
- Must possess a comprehensive understanding in all divisions of work, methods, materials, scheduling and cost control
- Proven record of success on singular mid-sized projects or multiple small-sized projects. Ground-up experience for projects in the $10-20M range, Industrial, Cannabis Sector and Adaptive reuse experience is highly preferred
- Heavy Civil, Mechanical, and Electrical experience is required
- Must possess a thorough understanding of construction technologies such as scheduling software and other associated construction software
- Ability to read and understand blueprints
- Ability to travel on site to locations nationally
- Prior experience working on large new construction/ground-up projects is required
- Committed to producing high-quality work, striving for a “zero punch list” on every project
- Ability to effectively lead a project team and work toward multiple deadlines at once
- Punctual and respectful of others’ time
- Goal-oriented – ability to react quickly to changing circumstances and still achieve the desired end results
- Proactively looks for potential site issues and addresses promptly and professionally
- Organized with keen attention to detail; strong critical thinking skills
- Strong understanding of project cost analysis
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to produce thorough documentation of each project
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and Outlook
- Experience with project management software is a plus (Procore, On-Screen Takeoff, PM Web Solutions, etc.)
- Calm and professional demeanor, even in high-pressure situations
- Act as a coach and mentor to on-site staff, boost team morale
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENCES, REGISTATIONS
Must have a valid driver s license. OSHA 30 Hour and First Aid/CPR certification is a plus.
This is a full-time, salaried position. The work is typically performed in an on the project site with occasional office and other travel requirements. Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties and responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.
Reed Construction is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.