Position Title: Summer Camp Counselor
Status: Seasonal, non-benefitted, At-Will
Supervisor: Camp and Youth Director
Term: June - August 2021
Under the direction of the Camp & Youth Director, the Camp Counselor will interact with and supervise campers ages 6-14 years old. Camp Counselors will assist with planning and implementing daily camp activities for a group of 16+ campers to assure that the day camp operates in a safe manner at all times, and assure the implementation of group activities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty at a high quality level. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or experience:
- Minimum of 18 years of age (preferred)
Specific Certification Requirements:
- Current American Red Cross CPR for Child and Adult
- Current American Red Cross First Aid Certification
- If over 18 years old - Completion and clearance of background fingerprint assessment via the APJCC specific Livescan location.
- If under 18 years old - current Work Permit
** Employees at APJCC may have availability to attend in-house Certification courses, please check with Camp
Director as to availability
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from supervisors, co-workers, volunteers, members, parents, donors and the general public
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Must possess the ability to make sound independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action
Other Skills, Requirements, Abilities and Personal Characteristics:
- Ability and willingness to work as a “team”
- Organized and possess excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Able to set and meet deadlines
- Enthusiastic, dependable and a sense of humor
- Willing to follow directions and take initiative
- Understanding of the APJCC mission as well as a commitment to be a positive role model
- Even-tempered and able to adjust tasks in accordance with changing priorities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Must have the knowledge of campers’ whereabouts at all times.
- Actively facilitate camper development in Outdoor Recreation Activities, Social Skill Development, Values, Multi-Cultural and Environmental Awareness.
- Maintain a positive attitude and conduct with total staff team as a positive role model.
- Assist in development, implementation, and evaluation of daily day camp activities.
- Adhere to and enforce Camp policies and procedures and operate day camp activities in a safe manner at all times.
- Maintain good public relations with day camp parents.
- Attendance at staff meetings and pre-camp training. (mandatory)
- Be prompt to all work assignments and adhere to day camp daily schedule and operating calendar.
- Enforces and adheres to camp procedures and policies.
- Maintains all camp equipment and supplies.
- Adheres to daily day camp operating schedule.
- Facilitates camper development.
- Cares about and gives attention to campers’ needs.
- Performs all other duties as assigned by Camp Leadership.
**Ability to work traditional business hours as well as non-traditional hours as business dictates. To include but not limited to weekends and evening.
Effect on End Result: The effectiveness of this position will be measured by:
- Purposeful and coordinated programs that advance Camp and APJCC strategic goals, good public relations, sound financial position and good records systems;
- A positive working environment that allows for creative thinking, positive attitudes, teamwork and self-development;
- Permeation of Tiferet (contributing to the greater good) throughout all APJCC programs, services and interactions. This position description is not intended to be all-inclusive.