Position Title: Summer Camp Inclusion Counselor
Status: Seasonal | Non-exempt | Non-benefited | At-Will
Term: June - August 2021
Under the direction of Youth & Camp Director and the Inclusion Camp Coordinator, the Inclusion Camp Counselor will be responsible for the safety and supervision of their 1:1 buddy. Inclusion Camp Counselors will assist in making sure their buddy is included and will serve as a counselor for the rest of the cabin.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty at a high quality level. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or experience:
- Minimum of 18 years of age (preferred)
- Experience working with children with special needs preferred
Specific Certification Requirements:
- Current American Red Cross CPR for Child and Adult
- Current American Red Cross First Aid Certification
- If over 18 years old - Completion and clearance of background fingerprint assessment via APJCC specific Livescan location.
- If under 18 years old current Work Permit
** Employees at APJCC may have availability to attend in-house Certification courses, please check with Camp Director as to availability
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Must have the knowledge of campers’ whereabouts at all times.
- Actively facilitate camper development in Outdoor Recreation Activities, Social Skill Development, Values, Multi-Cultural and Environmental Awareness.
- Maintain a positive attitude and conduct with total staff team as a positive adult role model.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to the needs of campers of all ages, interact appropriately with campers in a variety of situations, appropriately model behavior and use positive behavior management techniques, enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience, good sportsmanship, and self-control.
- Creatively adapt and individualize activities to the specific needs of 1:1 buddy
- Understand and implement the behavior plan specific to the camper as needed
- Assist the general camp counselors and campers to adapt materials and activities to be inclusive as often as needed
- Adhere to and enforce Camp policies and procedures and operate day camp activities in a safe manner at all times.
- Communicate with parents via send home communication log.
- Attendance at staff meetings and pre-camp training. (mandatory)
- Be prompt to all work assignments and adhere to day camp daily schedule and operating calendar.
- Enforces and adheres to camp procedures and policies.
- Maintains all camp equipment and supplies.
- Adheres to daily day camp operating schedule.
- Facilitates camper development.
- Performs all other duties as assigned by Camp Leadership.
**Ability to work traditional business hours as well as non-traditional hours as business dictates. To
include but not limited to weekends and evening.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Must possess the ability to make sound independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action
Other Skills, Requirements, Abilities and Personal Characteristics:
- Ability and willingness to work as a “team”
- Organized and possess excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Able to set and meet deadlines
- Willing to follow directions and take initiative
- Understanding of the APJCC and Camp Shalom mission as well as a commitment to be a positive role model
- Even-tempered and able to adjust tasks in accordance with changing priorities.
- Support and assist with Jewish content in the camp curriculum
- Strong written and verbal communication skills