Position Title: Summer Camp Counselor
Status: Seasonal, non-benefitted, At-Will
Term: June - August 2021
Under the direction of Youth & Camp Director, the Camp Counselor will interact with and supervise campers ages 6-9 years old in a Hebrew Immersion group. Camp Counselors will assist with planning and implementing daily camp activities for a group of 16+ campers assure that day camp operates in a safe manner at all times, and assure the implementation of group activities. Hebrew Immersion Camp Counselors will conduct a majority of their day in Hebrew but will interact regularly with English speaking coworkers, parents, and supervisors.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty at a high quality level. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or experience:
- Minimum of 18 years of age (preferred)
Specific Certification Requirements:
- Current American Red Cross CPR for Child and Adult
- Current American Red Cross First Aid Certification
- If over 18 years old - Completion and clearance of background fingerprint assessment via APJCC specific Livescan location.
- If under 18 years old current Work Permit
** Employees at APJCC may have availability to attend in-house Certification courses, please check with Camp
Director as to availability
- Proficiency in English and Hebrew (spoken and written)
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from supervisors, co-workers, volunteers, members, donors and the general public
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Must possess the ability to make sound independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action
Other Skills, Requirements, Abilities and Personal Characteristics:
- Ability and willingness to work as a “team”
- Organized and possess excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Able to set and meet deadlines
- Enthusiastic, dependable and a sense of humor
- Willing to follow directions and take initiative
- Understanding of the APJCC mission as well as a commitment to be a positive role model
- Even-tempered and able to adjust tasks in accordance with changing priorities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Must have the knowledge of campers’ whereabouts at all times.
- Actively facilitate camper development in Outdoor Recreation Activities, Social Skill Development, Values, Multi-Cultural and Environmental Awareness.
- Maintain a positive attitude and conduct with total staff team as a positive adult role model.
- Assist in development, implementation, and evaluation of daily day camp activities.
- Adhere to and enforce Camp policies and procedures and operate day camp activities in a safe manner at all times.
- Maintain good public relations with day camp parents.
- Attendance at staff meetings and pre-camp training. (mandatory)
- Be prompt to all work assignments and adhere to day camp daily schedule and operating calendar.
- Enforces and adheres to camp procedures and policies.
- Maintains all camp equipment and supplies.
- Adheres to daily day camp operating schedule.
- Facilitates camper development.
- Cares about and gives attention to campers’ needs.
- Performs all other duties as assigned by Camp Leadership.
**Ability to work traditional business hours as well as non-traditional hours as business dictates. To include but not limited to weekends and evening.
Effect on End Result: The effectiveness of this position will be measured by:
- Purposeful and coordinated programs that advance Camp and APJCC strategic goals, good public relations, sound financial position and good records systems;
- A positive working environment that allows for creative thinking, positive attitudes, teamwork and self-development;
- Permeation of Tiferet (contributing to the greater good) throughout all APJCC programs, services and interactions. This position description is not intended to be all-inclusive.