Founded in 1947 by Nina Vance, the Alley Theatre is a pioneer of regional theatre, and one of the leading nonprofit theatre companies in the United States. The Alley has been awarded the prestigious Regional Theatre Tony Award® and the Texas Medal of Arts Award. The Alley has transferred productions to Broadway, Off-Broadway, major European Festivals, and to 40 American cities. Unique among regional theatres, the Alley is committed to maintaining a Resident Acting Company and providing them work year-round. Nationally recognized directors, actors, playwrights, and designers from across the country have regularly joined the Resident Acting Company.
Rob Melrose, Artistic Director at the Alley, took over as artistic leader of the organization in 2019 . His vision for the future of the Alley is both thrilling and ambitious as the Theatre nears its 75th anniversary in 2021-22. When the Theatre reopens, his strategic goals include upholding the Alley’s artistic excellence, keeping longtime Alley Theatre devotees eager to return each season, and creating productions and cultivating new audiences that are as diverse and vibrant as the city of Houston.
Rob Melrose, Managing Director Dean Gladden and the Alley’s leadership team are committed to promoting Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) in all aspects of the Theatre’s programming and operations. We are conscious about fostering an environment where everyone is encouraged to bring their authentic selves. We embrace differences and strive to be inclusive of all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives.
JOB START DATE: 7/1/2021
SALARY: 16.75/HR Minimum hourly
The General Management Office Assistant will support the day-to-day operations of the General Management department at the Alley Theatre, working closely with the General Manager, Associate General Manager, and Assistant General Manager. The Alley does an eight-play subscription season, A Christmas Carol, and a two-play summer series. The Alley also owns its own production facility which includes a five-story state-of-the-art Center for Theatre Production, the 774-seat Hubbard Theatre, and the 290-seat Neuhaus Theatre. This position reports directly to the Associate General Manager.
- Assist the Associate General Manager and Assistant General Manager compile and prepare contracts for signature.
- Assist the Assistant General Manager with travel arrangements, housing and hospitality for staff and visiting artists
- Process purchase orders, invoices, and receipts accurately
- Track and reconcile credit card spending for the General Management department
- Assist the Assistant General Manager to revise Alley Theatre Welcome Packet and other resources as needed
- Assist in maintaining accurate records for the budget reconciliation
- File and maintain departmental records
- Assist in scheduling for the General Manager
- Assist in compliance with AEA, SDC, and USA and respective collective bargaining agreements
- Conduct research and draft budgets as assigned
- Complete special projects as needed