Founded in 1947 by Nina Vance, the Alley Theatre is a pioneer of regional theatre, and one of the leading nonprofit theatre companies in the United States. The Alley has been awarded the prestigious Regional Theatre Tony Award® and the Texas Medal of Arts Award. The Alley has transferred productions to Broadway, Off-Broadway, major European Festivals, and to 40 American cities. Unique among regional theatres, the Alley is committed to maintaining a Resident Acting Company and providing them work year-round. Nationally recognized directors, actors, playwrights, and designers from across the country have regularly joined the Resident Acting Company.
Rob Melrose, Artistic Director at the Alley, took over as artistic leader of the organization in 2019 . His vision for the future of the Alley is both thrilling and ambitious as the Theatre nears its 75th anniversary in 2021-22. When the Theatre reopens, his strategic goals include upholding the Alley’s artistic excellence, keeping longtime Alley Theatre devotees eager to return each season, and creating productions and cultivating new audiences that are as diverse and vibrant as the city of Houston.
Rob Melrose, Managing Director Dean Gladden and the Alley’s leadership team are committed to promoting Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) in all aspects of the Theatre’s programming and operations. We are conscious about fostering an environment where everyone is encouraged to bring their authentic selves. We embrace differences and strive to be inclusive of all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives.
JOB START DATE: 7/1/2021
SALARY: 60,000 /YR Minimum
The Operations Manager is responsible for managing the daily operations of the Alley’s theatre building and Center for Theatre Production, including supervising housekeeping and communicating with vendors. The Operations Manager works closely with the General Management, Engineering, and Finance departments.
- Maintain budgets for the Operations Department including but not limited to office supplies, mail, and housekeeping.
- Work collaboratively with Engineering to maintain the Alley buildings all year-round.
- Work closely with Production to oversee and maintain our two-way radio system, radio inventory, and FCC licensing.
- Act as main contact for property and garage managers.
- Distribute and maintain organization of badges, parking and Kastle cards, and keys for Alley staff members.
- Act as Alley representative at City and property manager meetings.
- Maintain inventory of all Operations department supplies including tables, chairs, linens, etc.
- Oversee supply orders for housekeeping and operations supplies.
- Act as contact with vending machine and repair vendors.
- Serve on the committee that updates the Alley’s Emergency Preparedness Plan on an annual basis.
- Oversee the organization and cleanliness of the Alley kitchens, office services areas, and Operations closets.
- Act as main contact for housekeeping company and create schedules and special instructions.
- Oversee the execution of internal and external events.
- Oversee incoming and outgoing mail and package shipping systems throughout all Alley Departments
- Monitor and maintain security camera system.
- Oversee the order and maintenance of office furniture in collaboration with the Office Layout Committee.
- Distribute company calendar to all appropriate vendors regularly including valet, housekeeping, and property managers.