Founded in 1947 by Nina Vance, the Alley Theatre is a pioneer of regional theatre, and one of the leading nonprofit theatre companies in the United States. The Alley has been awarded the prestigious Regional Theatre Tony Award® and the Texas Medal of Arts Award. The Alley has transferred productions to Broadway, Off-Broadway, major European Festivals, and to 40 American cities. Unique among regional theatres, the Alley is committed to maintaining a Resident Acting Company and providing them work year-round. Nationally recognized directors, actors, playwrights, and designers from across the country have regularly joined the Resident Acting Company.
Rob Melrose, Artistic Director at the Alley, took over as artistic leader of the organization in 2019 . His vision for the future of the Alley is both thrilling and ambitious as the Theatre nears its 75th anniversary in 2021-22. When the Theatre reopens, his strategic goals include upholding the Alley’s artistic excellence, keeping longtime Alley Theatre devotees eager to return each season, and creating productions and cultivating new audiences that are as diverse and vibrant as the city of Houston.
Rob Melrose, Managing Director Dean Gladden and the Alley’s leadership team are committed to promoting Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) in all aspects of the Theatre’s programming and operations. We are conscious about fostering an environment where everyone is encouraged to bring their authentic selves. We embrace differences and strive to be inclusive of all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives.
JOB START DATE: 7/1/2021
SALARY: $15.00/HR Minimum
The Alley’s Receptionist will act as host to all visitors and guests to the Center for Theatre Production. The Alley owns its own production facility, which includes a five-story state-of-the-art Center for Theatre Production, the 774-seat Hubbard Stage and the 290-seat Neuhaus Stage. This position reports directly to the Operations Manager.
- Serve as first impression at the reception desk during all open business hours of the Center for Theatre Production.
- Assist the Operations Manager with maintaining the 18th floor including the mailroom, office supplies, and kitchen.
- Process and log all incoming and outgoing mail and deliveries.
- Assist the Operations Manager with internal events including but not limited to staff meetings, production meet and greets, etc.
- Answer and process all incoming calls and inquiries.
- Process and sort all incoming mail.
- Process purchase orders and receipts when necessary
- Assist the Company Manager with packages and shipping for out-of-town artists.
- Complete other tasks and projects as assigned.