Founded in 1947 by Nina Vance, the Alley Theatre is a pioneer of regional theatre, and one of the leading nonprofit theatre companies in the United States. The Alley has been awarded the prestigious Regional Theatre Tony Award® and the Texas Medal of Arts Award. The Alley has transferred productions to Broadway, Off-Broadway, major European Festivals, and to 40 American cities. Unique among regional theatres, the Alley is committed to maintaining a Resident Acting Company and providing them work year-round. Nationally recognized directors, actors, playwrights, and designers from across the country have regularly joined the Resident Acting Company.
Rob Melrose, Artistic Director at the Alley, took over as artistic leader of the organization in 2019 . His vision for the future of the Alley is both thrilling and ambitious as the Theatre nears its 75th anniversary in 2021-22. When the Theatre reopens, his strategic goals include upholding the Alley’s artistic excellence, keeping longtime Alley Theatre devotees eager to return each season, and creating productions and cultivating new audiences that are as diverse and vibrant as the city of Houston.
Rob Melrose, Managing Director Dean Gladden and the Alley’s leadership team are committed to promoting Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) in all aspects of the Theatre’s programming and operations. We are conscious about fostering an environment where everyone is encouraged to bring their authentic selves. We embrace differences and strive to be inclusive of all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives.
JOB START DATE: 7/1/2021
SALARY: 40,000 /YR Minimum
The Food and Beverage Manager oversees the patron experience at the Alley Theatre. They will work closely with the Marketing and Communications Department, Front of House Manager, Operations Manager and the Finance Department. The Alley does an eight-play subscription season, A Christmas Carol, and a two-play summer series. The Alley also owns its own production facility, which includes a five-story state-of-the-art Center for Theatre Production, the 774-seat Hubbard Stage and the 290-seat Neuhaus Stage. This position reports directly to the Operations Manager.
- Oversee the food and beverage activities for all shows and events.
- Maintain bar and concessions inventory and place orders as needed
- Collaborate with Marketing and Communications to identify, evaluate and develop strategies to increase revenue and guest satisfaction
- Monitor and maintain all bar service equipment such as portable bars, POS systems, refrigerators, etc.
- Assist the Marketing and General Management Department on internal and external events
- Oversee the policies and procedures to follow TABC and Health Department rules and regulations including but not limited to maintaining a safe and sanitary work environment and renewing licenses on a yearly basis.
- Generate regular sales report for Finance department
- Cultivate relationships with patrons, staff and vendors
- Oversee Food and Beverage Budget including maintaining labor costs and budget goals
- Complete other tasks and projects as assigned