Columbia Grain International, LLC. is a long time established full-service grain company in the grain and pulses business. We are headquartered in Portland, Oregon and own/operate over 45 elevators and offices throughout WA, ID, MN, MT, and ND to support our domestic and export sales program.
We are a mid-size company with just over 350 employees overall. The employees at Columbia Grain, at all levels of our organization, represent some of the most experienced and knowledgeable in the industry. We are proud of our ability to attract and maintain talented, efficient, long term, community minded employees who can develop lasting relationships with producers and customers both domestic and around the world.
The SCL Transportation Specialist is responsible to facilitate and oversee the logistical coordination of the transportation of pulses from origin to destination using various modes to accomplish rail, truck, and ocean. This position will work with other members of the Logistics team to execute processes to achieve the effective distribution of goods. Must be highly organized, detail-oriented and be able to manage overlapping projects while keeping track of deadlines. Will work closely with our commodity merchandisers, operations managers, accounting, and outside vendors. This is a decision-making position; to thrive in this position, you should be a precise, take charge leader with an aptitude and interest in learning all aspects of our pulse business.
- Selects carriers, transportation routes, and other key aspects of getting shipments from the warehouse dock door out to destination
- Oversees pulse / grain shipments working with Merchandisers and multiple Facility Managers to ensure accurate and on time shipments to end use customers.
- Acts as a first point of contact with steamship lines (SSL) and third-party logistics providers and trans-loaders.
- Monitors shipments to port from various locations and makes bookings accordingly.
- Generates, distributes, and maintains booking information to key stakeholders
- Provides booking orders to third party trans-loaders.
- Monitors booking activity; updates, rolls, cancelations, or diversions as needed.
- Works closely with third party trans-loaders by providing booking orders, monitoring activity, and updating with changes as needed.
- Files for export reporting (ITN) in ACE system (Government Site); and update active bookings if necessary.
- Works closely with documentation team to ensure they have all necessary paperwork to complete shipping instructions to SSL.
- Reviews and approves various vendor freight bills.
- Files free time and billing disputes with SSL if necessary.
- Performs other duties as required