Founded in 1947 by Nina Vance, the Alley Theatre is a pioneer of regional theatre, and one of the leading nonprofit theatre companies in the United States. The Alley has been awarded the prestigious Regional Theatre Tony Award® and the Texas Medal of Arts Award. The Alley has transferred productions to Broadway, Off-Broadway, major European Festivals, and to 40 American cities. Unique among regional theatres, the Alley is committed to maintaining a Resident Acting Company and providing them work year-round. Nationally recognized directors, actors, playwrights, and designers from across the country have regularly joined the Resident Acting Company.
Rob Melrose, Artistic Director at the Alley, took over as artistic leader of the organization in 2019 . His vision for the future of the Alley is both thrilling and ambitious as the Theatre nears its 75th anniversary in 2021-22. When the Theatre reopens, his strategic goals include upholding the Alley’s artistic excellence, keeping longtime Alley Theatre devotees eager to return each season, and creating productions and cultivating new audiences that are as diverse and vibrant as the city of Houston.
Rob Melrose, Managing Director Dean Gladden and the Alley’s leadership team are committed to promoting Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) in all aspects of the Theatre’s programming and operations. We are conscious about fostering an environment where everyone is encouraged to bring their authentic selves. We embrace differences and strive to be inclusive of all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives.
JOB START DATE: 7/1/2021
SALARY: 45,000 /YR Minimum
The Assistant Production Manager assists with the daily operations, leadership, and administration of the production department. With the Director of Production and Production Manager, the Assistant PM oversees the overall theatrical and artistic productions and day to day business of the production department, design development and designer relations, play development workshops, education productions and all other production elements. The Assistant PM is directly responsible for maintaining production and organizational calendars.
- Participate in achieving the artistic and administrative goals of the Alley Theater while insuring quality and consistency, and maintaining the highest production values.
- Serve as the lead PM on assigned productions, Education & Community Engagement programming, and special projects, managing all aspects of those events from inception through closing.
- Maintain provided budgets for assigned projects.
- Lead Production Meetings for assigned projects
- Serves as assistant production manager for assigned shows, collaborating with lead PM.
- Understanding all aspects of production to facilitate needs throughout the build, rehearsals, technical rehearsals, previews, running and closing of each production and special event.
- Delivery and Logistics lead on all digital programing. Maintains database of information about each production, scheduling drivers, and organizes deliveries to actors with support from Production Office Manager.
- Create and maintain the Alley Calendar. Serve as the point person for each season’s Gantt chart (Excel) and the Company Calendar (Propared). Collaborate with all departments for correct information.
- Responsible for reading all show reports, rehearsal notes, rehearsal schedules, and building schedules. Follow-up on applicable details/notes and communicate information to staff as appropriate.
- Provide support and help facilitate the needs for production departments during "crunch" periods.
- Attend Tech rehearsals and previews, as needed, to serve as a liaison between the Alley Theatre and guest artists. Help solve problems and suggest solutions to maintain high quality and to assist in decisions regarding labor, schedules, and resources.
- Coordinate care and feeding of production staff and creative team as needed including tech snacks, crew dinner, and other special occasions.
- Operate as backup for Production payroll review with guidance from the Production Manager.
- Reconcile purchases of personal company credit card monthly in a timely and organized manner.
- Support the Alley’s safety program.
- Assist the Production Manager in keeping the Alley Theatre’s safety program up to date, including the research and implementation of new policies as well as keeping safety supplies and first aid kits stocked.
- Ensure that all departments are following Alley Theatre safety guidelines.
- Help conduct annual safety workshops for all production staff and maintain up-to-date records of staff safety training and certification.
- Work with Company Manager / General Management to book designer travel when necessary. When travel is booked, APM works with department heads and DOP to create designer work schedule and disseminates that schedule to those who need it.
- Work with Director of Production to maintain staff morale. Suggest, organize, and manage production staff events to maintain and increase morale. Arrange crew meals and strike meals when necessary.
- Assist in the planning and running of full production department staff meetings (3-5 annually).
- Attend production head meetings, show specific production meetings, and GM/PM meetings on a weekly basis. Attend full staff meetings and the annual board meeting. Run production head meetings and show specific production meetings when PM is not available.
- Communicate with Operations and Engineering Departments to keep backstage areas, dressing rooms, and rehearsal halls cleaned and maintained.
- Distribution of keys, credit cards, badges, parking cards.
- Point person for radios throughout the organization. Coordinate assignment and repairs as needed.
- Actively engage in education and development of anti-oppressive and inclusive practices and policies in the production department and theatre-wide.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Motivating and coaching employees to improve performance, provide feedback and training opportunities.
- Ensuring staff members follow company policies and procedures.
- Supervise Production staff as needed.