Founded in 1947 by Nina Vance, the Alley Theatre is a pioneer of regional theatre, and one of the leading nonprofit theatre companies in the United States. The Alley has been awarded the prestigious Regional Theatre Tony Award® and the Texas Medal of Arts Award. The Alley has transferred productions to Broadway, Off-Broadway, major European Festivals, and to 40 American cities. Unique among regional theatres, the Alley is committed to maintaining a Resident Acting Company and providing them work year-round. Nationally recognized directors, actors, playwrights, and designers from across the country have regularly joined the Resident Acting Company.
Rob Melrose, Artistic Director at the Alley, took over as artistic leader of the organization in 2019 . His vision for the future of the Alley is both thrilling and ambitious as the Theatre nears its 75th anniversary in 2021-22. When the Theatre reopens, his strategic goals include upholding the Alley’s artistic excellence, keeping longtime Alley Theatre devotees eager to return each season, and creating productions and cultivating new audiences that are as diverse and vibrant as the city of Houston.
Rob Melrose, Managing Director Dean Gladden and the Alley’s leadership team are committed to promoting Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) in all aspects of the Theatre’s programming and operations. We are conscious about fostering an environment where everyone is encouraged to bring their authentic selves. We embrace differences and strive to be inclusive of all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives.
JOB START DATE: 7/1/2021
SALARY: $15/HR Minimum
The Production Office Assistant will work closely with the Director of Production, Production Manager, and Assistant Production Manager to assure that the daily needs of the Production Department are met in an efficient manner. This position manages the operations of the Production Office and assists with the leadership and administration of the Production Department.
- Financial Responsibilities
- Review and process all purchase orders and production invoices, maintaining accurate records of all production related purchases.
- Assist production staff with the reviewing, processing and reconciling of MasterCard and petty cash recaps. Maintaining and overseeing the accurate and timely accounting of Production Department MasterCard and petty cash.
- Responsible for reconciling the general ledger and working with the Finance Department to ensure that the general ledger is accurate.
- Show Responsibilities
- Compile and disseminate designer travel schedules with information from GM, PM, and other department heads.
- Operate as backup for digital works logistics coordination as trained by the
Assistant Production Manager.
- Occasional tech coverage at Lead Production Manager’s request.
- Create and maintain each production’s Network and Dropbox folders.
- Make sure that the performance space is set up for tech and tech supplies are stocked.
- Manage crew hospitality and production staff events.
- Archive Productions when shows are complete.
- Schedule meetings as requested by Production Managers. Attend production meetings, company meetings, post mortems and various staff meetings as needed. Take notes at meetings and distribute.
- Maintain all Production Department files and paperwork, including show files, financial files, personnel paperwork, contracts, and resumes.
- Understanding all aspects of production. This will allow the facilitation of production needs throughout the building, rehearsing, teching, running and closing of each production and special event.
- Create welcome packets for new production staff members. With HR, oversee and assist shop heads in coordinating paperwork, (tax forms and employee info), for new employees and additional labor.
- Assist the Production Manager/Assistant Production Manager in supervising outside and special events as necessary, occasionally acting as Stage Supervisor for such events.
- Preparation and distribution of production staff and overhire contracts.
- Maintain employee contact information, ensuring the Emergency Contact Sheet, Emergency Contact Binder, and Outlook Production Office Overhire contact folder contain current and accurate information and this information is shared with the Payroll/Benefits Associate.
- Assist Assistant Production Manager maintain company calendars as needed.
- Assist production departments with shipping and receiving as requested.
- Serve as Emergency Warden
- Maintain First Aid Kits, restocking as necessary.
- Receive and review Production staff injury reports and distribute them to Human Resources; follow-up and make recommendations to avoid repeated injuries.
- Assist production departments as needed during “crunch” periods.
- Assist in hiring and recruiting tasks as needed.
- Perform related duties as assigned by the Director or Production, Production Manager and/or Assistant Production Manager.
- Additional duties as assigned