POSITION SUMMARY: This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Delivers excellent service to all members, guests, and program participants. Under the direction of the Aquatic Leadership the Lifeguard is responsible for providing a safe and positive atmosphere that welcomes and respects all individuals while promoting and maintain safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck and surrounding areas in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
- Maintains active surveillance of the entire pool area including pool deck.
- Knows and reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies & procedures; completes related reports as required.
- Practice preventative lifeguarding by following and enforcing pool rules and policies, and routinely completing and documenting safety check of pool, deck area, and equipment.
- Remains calm and objective when under pressure or when challenged by others and act accordingly.
- Maintains accurate records as required by the YMCA and/or the state health department code.
- Checks and records water temperature and chemical levels on a regular basis when not guarding and notify supervisor of any irregularities.