Major Tasks, Responsibilities and Accountability
With the assistance of seasonal and full-time grounds staff, this position is the lead in managing Soldier Hollow snowmaking operations ensuring the ski trails and the tubing hill, are built to the highest possible standards for, competitions, public activities and overall public safety. This position is responsible to train, schedule and supervise all snowmaking staff. This position also integrates and supports all snow-grooming operations. Responsible to manage all facility maintenance for the Soldier Hollow venue. Support overall venue operations and events throughout the year.
Snow Making Administration
- Administer Snowmaking Staff
- Maintain Snowmaking Equipment
- Schedule all maintenance and repairs
- Administer equipment depreciation and replacement
- End of season preparation and storage
- Develop Snowmaking Plan
- Based on input from Competition Managers, Ski Program Managers, and Public Activity Managers develop the best possible snowmaking plan to accommodate all SoHo activities within the limitations of SoHo snowmaking systems.
- Adjust snowmaking plan as program requirements and weather conditions change.
- Communicate snowmaking plan and ongoing adjustments to the SoHo management team.
- Integrate Snowmaking Plan with the Grooming and Event Plan
- Supervise and participate with Operations Staff to ensure proper maintenance of SoHo equipment
- All grooming equipment
- SOHO vehicle fleet
- Shop tools and equipment
- Supervise and participate with Operations Staff ensuring proper maintenance of SoHo trails and grounds
- Snowmaking Infrastructure
- Parking Areas
- Ensure that all scheduled maintenance occurs in a timely fashion
- Ensure completion of any needed facility repairs in a timely fashion.
- Manage and schedule any required contractors on an as needed basis.
- Ensure the Highest Possible Standards of Trail Building
- Elite cross country and biathlon competitions.
- Youth sport training and competitions.
- Event set-up and preparation
- Coordinate with all SoHo Venue departments grooming requirements and conditions with regard to changing schedules, and weather conditions.
- Provide timely information for daily “Trails Report”.
Required Knowledge and Essential Skills
- Extensive Knowledge of Snow Making operations
- Nordic Ski Trails
- Public Tubing Hills
- Extensive Operational Knowledge of Snowmaking Equipment
- Very experienced in preparing Competition Level Nordic Ski Trails
- Qualified to Perform General Maintenance and Repairs on the Snowmaking Equipment
- Qualified to Perform General Maintenance and Repairs on the Facility Equipment
- Three years as a snowmaker at a Nordic Facility.
- Support SoHo Public Events and Activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Environmental Job Requirements
- Ability to work outdoors in all temperature/weather extremes.
- Work long hours when weather conditions require
- Agile enough to operate and maintain snowmaking equipment.
Required In-House Training
- UAF Orientation
- Sexual Harassment
- Drug & Alcohol
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter the scope of work within the framework of the job description at any time without prior notice.