We contact applicants directly via email using only our designated company email addresses with the domain of @esource.com. Please do not provide personal information to anyone over email and be wary of other accounts impersonating businesses.
Are you naturally curious when you see data? Are you interested in how water utilities manage their water distribution infrastructure? Have you been looking for a committed team, striving to make a positive difference in the world?
If this sounds like you, we are looking for a data analyst to join our team of water utility and data enthusiasts. We’re working to help utilities improve the efficiency of their water distribution systems, and in turn help the world become a more resilient place. The analyst joining our team will play a critical role analyzing client data and presenting results to support real-world decisions about water system operations and management.
E Source is a solutions-based consulting, research and advisory, and data science firm that’s been a change agent in the utility industry for over 30 years.
What you’ll do.
- In due time, responsibilities for this position will include the following:
- Water loss management proficiency – develop and apply a sound understanding of the best practices for distribution water loss management
- Data analysis – analyze water utility data using excel and scripts written in R (e.g. production time series, billing records, logged pressure data, meter test results) to evaluate and value distribution system water loss
- Report writing – clearly present, narrate, and synthesize data analysis, quantitative and qualitative uncertainty, project findings, and programmatic recommendations both internally and externally
- Client communication and education – clearly communicate findings and recommendations and effectively teach water loss management concepts to clients and partners in formal and informal settings
- Initially, the new team member will complete tasks assigned by colleagues to advance projects and learn water loss analysis, client communication, and strategy design. With time, this new team member will more fully expand their portfolio of work and partner with colleagues as necessary to accomplish project work.
What will make you a good fit
- At least 3 years of job experience that shows mastery of data analysis and technical writing
- Because our work is interdisciplinary and requires fluency in both analysis and communication, an ideal candidate has:
- Expert in coding data analysis required (proficiency with R preferred)
- Experience cleaning, processing, analyzing, and presenting (i.e., effective data visualizations) large, inconsistent datasets
- Demonstrated ability in synthesis, technical writing, and communication of findings
- Excellent computer skills
- GIS capabilities
- Comfort and skill in verbally presenting technical concepts in client meetings and conference presentations
- The ability to make technical information digestible to a general audience
- The ability to find and tell the story within the data
The ideal candidate is:
- Familiar with water distribution networks, water agencies, and/or water policy
- Experienced in Project Management
- Motivated to resolve water management challenges
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Able to manage, prioritize, and execute tasks for multiple ongoing projects
- Able to think on their feet and improvise
- A self-starter who can work independently under limited supervision
- Positive and proactive
- Comfortable with uncertainty in analysis and outcomes
- Experienced in leading conversations and problem solving with clients
- Prepared to travel for on-site work (must have a driver’s license)
A little about E Source
Utilities across the US and Canada face the same fundamental, day-to-day challenges: to ensure reliable service for every customer while maintaining and modernizing aging distribution networks and meeting regulatory requirements—all while keeping rates affordable. At the same time, climate change has created a common, universal call to action: to reduce our carbon impact, improve our environment, and ensure the prosperity of future generations.
At E Source, we’re dedicated to helping every utility become a Sustainable Utility. That means doing the hard work it takes to achieve goals that often seem at odds with one another:
- Environmental responsibility: Decarbonizing operations, reducing emissions, eliminating water leaks, and finding efficiencies
- Reliability: Providing safe, continuous, and consistent service in the face of increasing volatility caused by climate change, including extreme weather, drought, and fire
- Equity: Making services and programs truly available to all, especially low- and moderate-income residential customers and small and midsize businesses who are often disproportionately impacted by societal events
- Financial stability: Ensuring a bottom line that affords capital and operational expenditures while enabling innovation and giving back to our communities
E Source blends industry-leading research, predictive data science, and solution services to help utilities make better decisions to serve their customers, their bottom line, and our planet. With a commitment to practical innovation, we use more than three decades of utility-focused experience and our unique solution set to help our clients become a Sustainable Utility.
- We offer excellent insurance packages, including medical, dental, and vision plans; company-paid life insurance; company-paid long- and short-term disability insurance; and medical and dependent-care flexible spending plans.
- We provide a flexible time off (FTO) program; E Source employees can take as many paid days off per year as they need, with manager approval, while fulfilling their work obligations and ensuring proper coverage of their responsibilities.
- We offer flexible schedules, flexible work locations, and a paid parental leave benefit.
- We provide a 401(k)/RRSP plan with a 3% employer match.
The budgeted salary for this position is $71,500 - 82,500 USD (includes base + annual bonus). Actual pay will be adjusted based on experience.
This role will be 100% remote. Role may involve travel approximately once per quarter.
Applicants must be authorized to work for any employer in the US. We’re unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of employment visas at this time.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.