This position oversees all aspects of calendar design (cover and interiors) through to the final print files. The art director collaborates with editors and authors/licensors to achieve an appropriate and compelling look for each calendar. As an art director, youll be responsible for the execution and on-time delivery of high quality creative materials for calendars and take on additional publishing projects such as books.
- Create compelling, high-quality designs for calendar covers and interiors
- Overseeing all aspects of design and production, including the review of color separations and proofs
- Meet all schedules and budgets
- Supervise creative services, freelance design, photography, and illustration.
- Negotiate fees and contracts with freelance designers, illustrators, photographers, creative service representatives and stock houses.
- Assist with sales and marketing departments with promotional material as needed.
- Keep up with current creative trends in the publishing industry.
- Prepares printer-ready files including art alterations and PDF creation.
- Excellent design, Photoshop and typography skills
- Work experience in design and production that showcases the ability to visually communicate to a specific audience
- Ability to adapt to authors or licensors needs and requests and willingness to be flexible and collaborate with others
- Proven ability to proactively prioritize a multitude of complex assignments effectively and to meet or beat tight deadlines consistently
- Project planning, budgeting, scheduling, and time management.
- The ability to work well with co-workers, outside venders, and authors and licensors.
- Quickly create solutions for design, production, and communication issues.
- Be efficient with communicating ideas and concepts. Plus, the ability to present in front of groups.
- Well versed with Apple computer, Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, PhotoShop, Acrobat Pro (Microsoft- Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Knowledge of print production and the ability to trouble shoot production issues.
Works closely with Executive Design Director, Editors, and Production, and with freelance designers and other internal designers as needed.